Before the close of this year we wanted to express our gratitude to all of you who have contributed so generously to Shyamala’s ongoing recovery from her stroke in December of 2019. Your support made many things happen that would not, otherwise, have been possible.
We wanted to let you know about some of the wonderful ways your gifts have supported Shyamala’s recovery program.
• Every morning Shyamala has one of two extraordinary, kind and loving women come to the house and assist her – especially with her physical therapy program. Repairing damaged neural pathways from a stroke is slow, steady work so having their support has been critical. It has also freed up Mac to continue teaching some online computer programming classes.
• An electric wheelchair to get around the house. The next step is using it to get around the kitchen and start cooking again. [Meanwhile Mac is the short-order cook]
• We live in a Victorian house which is thankfully all on one floor but is 13 steps up to the front door. We installed a chair lift up the back stairway to get in and out of the house.
• There are various other adaptations to the house – including a ballet bar in the living room to practice standing. Mac sings to Shyamala as she stands for longer and longer times. Our favorites are John Lennon’s Imagine, The Garden Song, anything from the Wizard of Oz and Pete Seeger’s Sailing Down My Golden River.
• We don’t know what the future holds. Shyamala has made good progress in one year but it is very slow work and she is far from the mobile, independent life she aspires to. How much she will ultimately recover is in God’s hands but we are surrounded by the loving support of beautiful people such as you and the guidance and grace of our Gurumayi. This is not easy but it’s also undeniable that we experience blessings and even miracles every day, that the love between us has grown even deeper over this last year, and that gratitude for our spiritual path is ever greater and its gifts are ever more apparent. Shyamala likes to tell how one difficult morning, Mac looked up from assisting her and said “What an adventure this is!!!!” She wanted you to know that his legendary optimism is still intact. And we wanted you to know that you, our beloved friends and supporters, have been a huge part in making all this possible.
We wish you a most blessed holiday season,
Mac & Shyamala
- Manjula Dean
- Kimberly Satterfield
- Gail Mitchell
- Lois Vaccaro
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more