We are a network of Designers, Technicians, and Stage Managers working to increase visibility, awareness, and opportunities for Latinx designers, technicians and managers in the Live Performance field. What started as a small Facebook group of 49 members has now grown into a dynamic network of diverse theater-makers of 175+ in only five years. This month and after discussions and surveys within the membership, we achieved an important benchmark in our commitment to formalize the network: we officially adopted our new name—La Gente: The Latinx Theatre Design Network.
This is just the first step in our plan to grow our community and raise the visibility, awareness, and opportunities for LatinX theater artists. But we are excited about what comes next! We are expanding our online presence to create a united front in the promotion of LatinX Theater designers and technicians across the country.
We are committed to:
• Increasing the visibility of LatinX work in theatre.
• Promoting events and productions of our members and allies.
• Making and Holding Space for BIPOC members of our theater communities.
• Listening and Holding Ourselves accountable.
How we are doing it:
• Creating and adopting a unique visual identity and presence.
We are working with a LatinX graphic designer to create a vibrant visual identity for La Gente Network. A unified and consistent branding across platforms will make a stronger and more professional impression to our members and visitors.
• Launching a new Social Media account to promote LatinX theater artists and their work.
We are launching an Instagram account to promote and share the work of members in our network. This will create another avenue for the world to see the creativity and skill of LatinX theater artists. The FB page is still live and will continue to be our private platform for discussions and sharings.
• Creating and launching a LatinX Theater Artist directory.
We are creating a website to strengthen our network, raise the visibility of our members, and help us become more familiar with each other’s work. The website will do this by:
◦ Showcasing and promoting LatinX Theater Designers and Technicians.
◦ Having a comprehensive directory of LatinX theater professionals, searchable by discipline, location, skills, and more.
◦ Creating a space for network members to find collaborators, share opportunities, feedback, and resources with each other.
What we need:
We will need your support to achieve these goals. We are looking to raise $8,000 to fund this project.
We recognize the importance of paying artists for their work so we have done research and spoken to several professionals to determine our budget. It includes research, drafts, and labor for branding, graphic styling, and web development. We also included some of the recurring website costs like hosting, domain, and site maintenance.
What you can do:
Donate to fund our mission! Anything helps. If you can’t donate, we would ask that you share this link through social media platforms so that we can be heard by as many people as possible.
The time is now and we thank you in advance for your engagement and supporting our Network!
• We are a Community of artists with Diverse Aesthetics and Perspectives.
We celebrate the richness and uniqueness of our stories and approaches to theatre-making and our professional careers.
• We value the health and wellbeing of our members. We work and speak in solidarity with other BIPOC networks that are actively building anti-racism strategies and dismantling oppressive practices in the Theatre. As an off-shoot of the Latinx Theatre Commons, we share its values regarding advocacy, equity and inclusion.
• Shared Resources and Commons practices. We are committed to sharing knowledge, resources, and experiences with other members in our community.
- Enrique Antunano
- Nina Field
Fundraising team: Website & Insta Commitees (7)
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more