All of us at Hometown Bicycles are about to celebrate 10 incredible years of creating the bike shop we believe every community and every rider deserves - community-centric, family-friendly, activity-filled, anti-bike-snob, fun… a real, where-everybody-knows-your-name kind of place.
It hasn’t always been easy, but we’re proud to have built a reputation in our industry for doing good works, employing good people, and getting cyclists to their “happy place!”
While we’ve grown and evolved through each new challenge, our recent mandatory store closure per Michigan’s “Executive Order COVID-19” brings us to a hurdle that we, frankly, cannot jump alone.
Although many of our vendors and debtors are showing great kindness and flexibility during this difficult time, there are many operational costs that we simply cannot postpone. And with our funds having been heavily tapped this winter for the buildout of a community business incubator (we love entrepreneurs!), we no longer have the resources to lean on through this economic storm.
Add to this that Hometown Bicycles, a mom-and-pop bicycle shop located in a northern State, has to close its doors during the Spring/Summer, when critical revenue is generated to support staff and cover expenses through the rest of the year…
We are asking for your immediate support to help keep our bike shop stable through this uncertain time, to help us pedal out on solid footing when the crisis has passed, and to help prevent long-term hardships and layoffs during the cold weather season. Please, only give if you have the means to do so - we have experienced firsthand the unconditional generosity of our customers, and appreciate any amount you are able to contribute to our cause.
There are so many of our amazing, fellow, local businesses struck hard by COVID-19. Like them, we are determined to adapt and survive.
With deepest gratitude,
Shaun & Dawn Bhajan
Owners, Hometown Bicycles
ABOUT US (for friends we have yet to meet!)
Hometown Bicycles is the brainchild of “bike whisperer” Shaun Bhajan and his wife, Dawn, whom he met over bicycle clinics and proposed to in the middle of pre-launch renovations.
Service is our number one focus - we’ve repaired over 22,000 bicycles since opening our doors in April 2010. Our mantra is to make customers’ bikes “look great, work great, and blow your mind!”
Over 10 years, we grew from our original 600 sq. ft. service shop into full bicycle service and retail in a refurbished roller skating rink. During that time, we’ve become heavily involved in cycling advocacy through our 80+ member cycling Team, and creation of the Do It for Dan Memorial Ride honoring a customer who was struck and killed by a distracted driver while cycling in Island Lake State Park.
WHAT WE BELIEVE
1) Our customers’ loyalty isn’t owed to us; it’s earned. Daily. With hard work, sound advice, and follow through.
2) Education is awesome. We love running classroom and on-the-bike clinics, merit badge earning programs, and bike build training sessions.
3) Cycling is fun, and we aim to keep it that way! Shop rides, community programs, stellar service, and a welcoming Crew is how we do it.
4) Cycling is for everyone. EVERYONE. We support riders of every age, every skill level, every special need, and every goal.
5) Entrepreneurship rocks! As a small business ourselves, we’re geeked to be less than a year away (we hope!) from opening a Business Incubator inside our building. In the meantime, we run entrepreneurship programs and host start-up businesses in our existing shop.