On Friday the 2nd November 2018, Hanover Road Fish and Chips in Scarborough had a catastrophic fire which destroyed the shop and all contents inside.
The cause of the fire is thought to be from the recent electrical work carried out on the street, as the lights in the shop and other electrical problems have occured since the work was finished. Nearly every other business and home on the street have also had electrical issues since the work was finished and continue to do so now.
Will had dedicated his life to the shop, working 7 days a week for very little pay and investing all of his time and spare money in an attempt to make it the best he possibly could. The recent inclusion of a vegan menu, gluten free menu and a delivery service all contributed to Hanover Road winning the 2nd best Fish and Chip shop in Scarborough award from The Scarborough News.
The fire at the shop has devastated the lives of Will, his family and all of the staff who heavily relied on the fish and chip shop to pay their wages. This could not have come at a worse time at the run up to Christmas and everybody involved are worried it will be a big struggle with no job to rely on.
Will now has a huge legal battle on his hands to take on Northern Power in an attempt to get the shop back open with new equipment and there is no guarantee he will win, infact it will be very hard to win against such a big company but he doesn't have a choice, the shop was and still is his life and I know he will be devoting himself to trying to get back open again no matter the cost!
We are asking the community, family, friends and customers to help Will get back on track and open again, he needs money to pay ongoing costs like rent, renovating the building and equipment and for the legal battle ahead.
Please give what you can to help Will and his family and staff get their jobs and lives back as soon as possible!