With your support, I can provide the funding desperately needed by the young grassroots climate activists I work with every day, on the front line of the climate crisis all across the Philippines.
These young activists put their lives at risk and sacrifice the needs of their families to protect their communities from climate change. Yet they are under funded, unheard and feel un-represented by the global climate justice movement. I am working tirelessly to change this and your support will make a huge difference.
Super Typhoon Haiyan in 2015, was the largest Typhoon on record. My family and community in Eastern Samar were one of the first to be devastated.
Since that day I’ve been fighting for climate justice from the grassroots in my village on the Pacific Coast up to the international level.
Just like hundreds of thousand of my peers across the Philippines, I’ve witnessed the devastation of climate change. We’ve lost the people we love the most. Our communities have been washed away. The livelihoods that our families and friends rely on for our education, health and food have been destroyed.
I am privileged to have been supported and protected by international organisation around the world. I have a job that allows me to dedicate my time and energy to fight for climate justice. I’ve protested on the streets of Tacloban, Manila, Madrid, New York and Paris.
I will be protesting on the street of Glasgow during COP26, where I will represent the voices and demands of young people across the Philippines. You can learn more about my work in the links below.
My fellow young climate activists across the Philippines have not had these privileges. Most activists I know don’t receive any funding for their work. They don’t have access to the internet or the devices to be heard and participate in online campaigns and webinars. They cannot protest due to fear of persecution for themselves and their families.
With your support I can provide funding and for youth-led grassroots climate justice action across the Philippines.
All of the funds I raise in 2021 will support climate justice action by youth in the Philippines in 2022.
Thank you for your support. Together we will get climate justice now!
(Please follow me on Instagram @mrnlsmkbld)
My work to date:
1. Delivered educational programmes across remote coastal communities in the Philippines on climate change terms, concepts, and measures to mitigate and adapt.
2. The youngest petitioner to the landmark resolution to hold the Fossil Fuel industry accountable for the climate related human rights abuses they have caused, including loss of life and livelihoods, that was submitted to the Commission on Human Rights in the Philippines with Greenpeace.
3. The face of Amnesty International global letter campaign called Write for Rights campaign that calls the President of the Philippines to give safe relocation houses for communities and families affected by Super Typhoon Haiyan. The campaign generated 528,070 actions worldwide.
4. Co-organised the 3-month long Local Conference of the Youth which crafted the National Youth Statement after capacity building sessions and national youth consultations. This document is to be shared as part of the global youth statement at COP26 .
5. Supporting youth-led climate action across the Philippines and a campaign to stop the investment in Fossil Fuel companies by the Church and banks in the Philippines, with Living Laudato Si’ Philippines .
6. Public speaking, national and international media engagement including with The United Nations #TheHumanRace, The Guardian , VICE , Sky News, BBC World Service, Japan Times , Nobel Women’s Initiative and The Girl and the Typhoon documentary .