On April 28th, 2022 thieves broke into the Mobile Gaming Unit while it was parked in what we believed to be a secure lot. They gained entry by smashing the driver’s side window and made off with approximately $5,000 worth of equipment, including both our gaming computers, an external hard drive containing all our game files, and one of our hi-fi microphones. The break-in disrupted the start of what was to be the second full season of our ambitious project to bring gaming to the streets of New York City.
Three years ago Pixel Reboot embarked on this journey with only a vague dream: to build a mobile live-streaming studio that would allow us to game with and stream to our amazing online audience and friends, in front of live street crowds in Times Square and other outdoor venues in NYC and beyond. The outcome of this effort is the Mobile Gaming Unit, or MGU (pronounced “Magoo”), built from the chassis of a retired USPS delivery truck and fitted with state-of-the-art gaming computers, outward-facing LCD panels, cameras, microphones and a cellular transmitter—everything that allows us to play online games with a live audience, and stream the vibrant street scene to our viewers back home. Additionally, the MGU is fitted with rooftop solar panels and high-capacity lithium batteries for a completely eco-friendly gaming experience. It is truly like nothing else ever created before in the history of gaming.
After our initial development and trial period we were ready to embark on our first full season in the spring of 2020. Of course, we all know what happened then: the world shut down due to the outbreak of the deadly Covid pandemic. Undaunted, we set our sights on 2021, and were able to conduct a relatively successful run as the city partially re-opened and pedestrians returned to Times Square. We also connected with a number of incredibly talented gamers, performers, creators and influencers who joined us in the MGU as guest players and partners. While we were happy with the way things went in our inaugural season, we were really looking forward to busting out of the gate in 2022. Then came the robbery.
Still, it could have been worse. Although the thieves attempted to break into the area holding our bank of rather expensive lithium batteries, they either ran out of time or did not realize their value. They also neglected to take our cellular transmitter and about two dozen other small but important pieces of equipment that make our unique idea possible. While the New Jersey police are investigating the thefts (several other vehicles were broken into on the lot), we realize it is doubtful we will recover the stolen equipment. Nevertheless, we will not let this latest setback deter us from our dream to create a one-of-a-kind gaming experience. This project has come at significant personal expense, and for the first time we are asking our community for financial support.
Equipment lost list:
• Aenllosi Hard Carrying Case Replacement for Western WD Black -$13.00
• WD_BLACK 2TB P10 Game Drive - Portable External Hard Drive HDD - $89.99
• Behringer XENYX QX1002USB Premium 10-Input 2-Bus Mixer with XENYX Mic - $99.99
• Seasonic FOCUS 550 Gold SSR-550FM 550W 80+ Gold ATX12V & EPS12V Semi-Modular Power Supply - $139
• Crucial P1 1TB 3D NAND NVMe PCIe Internal SSD, up to 2000MB/s - $102 X 2 = Total $204
• EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 Black GAMING,8GB GDDR6, Dual HDB Fans Graphics Card 08G-P4-1071-KR - $665 x 3 = $1995.00
• GIGABYTE Z390 GAMING X Motherboard -$199 x 2 = $398.00
• Intel Core i7-8700K Desktop Processor 6 Cores - $330.99 x 2 = $662.00
• Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM Black - $74 x 4 = $296
• Deepcool Tesseract Mid-Tower Case - 120.00 x 3 = $360
• Corsair Air Series AF 120 - 21.00 x 6 = $126
• Sony ECM-44B Omnidirectional Lavalier Microphone - $156.00
• StarTech 7-Port USB 3.0 PCI Express 2.0 x1 Card - $58.68
$300 to repair the back out camera
Total cost of theft - $4,439.00
Total cost of Damages - $600.00
With your help we are hoping to raise $6,000 to cover the cost of replacement components and gear, as well as the installation of several security cameras and upgraded locks to prevent future theft. If we are able to raise $10,000 we will also add several remote-operated 50-calibre machine gun turrets. Just kidding! Unless...
We want to thank our long-time viewers and co-gamers, as well as those who are just discovering our project, for their support and assistance. We promise to be back on the street and stream in no time, and look forward to reconnecting with you then.