Hi Everyone! My name is Melanie Rose and for the past 15 years I have dedicated my life to helping others live their lives to their fullest potential.
- I received my Master’s degree in Kinesiology, also gained several certifications through the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) and American Council on Exercise (ACE) and have helped conduct research in Exercise Psychology interventions. - I’ve been consistently teaching group fitness, personal training, providing counseling, teaching in colleges, managing gyms, creating wellness programs for corporations and have loved every minute.
Throughout the years, there has been one common denominator that has managed to show up as the source of most of the health problems with the people I’ve helped; it was the reason I was hired to create wellness programs for corporations. That culprit was STRESS and it is a silent killer!
So I’ve created a program dedicated to handling stress and here’s why:
There’s an estimated $300,000 billion spent in annual healthcare costs for stress-related diseases in the U.S. Working in this industry (specifically in corporate wellness) and observing that most people are walking around like the living dead, this statistic doesn’t surprise me, it saddens me. We are killing ourselves emotionally, mentally and physically, by just “existing,” doing routine tasks, and trying to handle things on our own. Stress is powerful, and many don’t realize that it can kill them, until it’s too late. I’ve also experienced the effects of this first-hand when it hit my family:
- My grandmother suffered from a stress-induced stroke as a caretaker for my grandfather.
- My mother lost her ability to make sound decisions, developed anxiety and depression along with several other health issues, fractured many relationships and almost lost her will to live due to 10 years of stress at her job.
- My husband developed low back pain, psoriasis, and constant irritability due to a toxic work environment.
Thankfully my family was able to eventually recover, but not everyone does. Most of the major causes of death (including the number one cause, heart disease) can be attributed to how a person deals with stress. Think about it, having chronic bouts of anger, anxiety, fatigue and muscle tension, to name a few, with no healthy outlet, is likely to lead to poor coping habits, eventually affecting one’s health! This is where the FIGHT or Flight Ministry steps in.
ABOUT FIGHT or FLIGHT MINISTRY
I, along with my husband Derrick J. Rose, who’s also an ACE Certified Personal Trainer, have developed this ministry because, to put it simply, this nation is stressed out! FIGHT or Flight’s sole purpose is to help the communities around the nation by focusing on the health of its members. We use WELLNESS to identify, confront, and combat stress in one’s life, thus reducing and/or eliminating the risk factors associated with chronic stress. We do this through our stress intervention program (mentioned below), community workshops and additional community resources.
About the Stress Intervention Program: This program addresses stress and one’s coping strategies on a weekly basis for 2 months and moves into a monthly meeting for 4 months. Each week there’s an hourly session comprised of three aspects: fitness, nutrition and counseling. In each session we cover a new dimension of wellness (i.e. social wellness, intellectual wellness, etc.) and associate it with current behavior trends in the client’s life. Throughout the rest of the week there are other smaller goals to achieve based on the objectives discussed at the weekly session.
Before the program begins, clients discuss current health issues (i.e. hypertension) and the areas in life that attribute to those health issues (i.e. overworked and late bills). Those areas then become our focus for the program in either adjusting how the client responds to those stressful areas or eliminating those stressful areas all together. Our program concentrates on personal accountability and tactics to make positive changes. Each program is tailored to the needs of the client and the client has one coach assigned for the duration of the program.
This program has 2 phases:
o Phase 1 – Pre-diagnosis: Designed for those who are regularly experiencing symptoms of stress, have developed risky behaviors and now are borderline for being diagnosed with a chronic illness (i.e. diabetes). We intervene and use wellness objectives, through the 3 aspects above, to combat the threat of disease.
o Phase 2 – Diagnosis: Designed for those who have been diagnosed with a chronic illness and can attribute much of it to stress. If they continue their current lifestyle, they are at risk for pre-mature death.
- You are what you eat, but you are also what you THINK. Sometimes people just need to know there’s a way out with guidance. I have a team of dietitians, therapists, financial advisors, healthcare providers and more who are working with me for needs beyond our scope so that the client can get the BEST care team. We are there every step of the way to recovery!
WHY WE ARE ASKING FOR HELP:
We know that finances are a huge source of stress, and a major reason why so many people have the health complications they currently have. We want to intervene and help as many as we can, but since most health insurance companies do not cover this type of WELL care, the financial burden is on the client. We want to remove the financial obligation from the clients so they can focus on their health holistically and completely. Will you please consider donating towards sponsoring our first major set of clients? Any amount is much appreciated! Here’s some milestones we are trying to reach:
- $275 – The filing fee for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status so we can apply for government funding, foundation funding and more to start helping more people!
- $3,000 - We can provide free community educational workshops in our rental space we are subleasing for a year
- $10,000 – The entire intervention program is $2,500 per person to complete (6 months with personal training, counseling and nutrition). However, we and our partners are only asking for $500 per client and we will volunteer the rest of our services, until more funding is available. This will take care of 20 clients.
o I currently have a book of paying clients I’m working with. However, I have a waitlist of about 12 clients wanting to pursue this program who simply can’t afford it due to financial struggles (i.e. deciding to pay for groceries vs. multiple prescriptions vs. gas in the car). They need this the most.
This is not about me, but about others. FIGHT or Flight Ministry was birthed out of my experiences, but let’s help the masses together. Do this for your mother, your brother, your boss, your friend, yourself. Please invest in this organization as a lifeline to those who are drowning. We are not about managing illness, rather all about practicing WELLNESS as a lifestyle to beat stress! Any amount will be greatly appreciated!