A human rights crisis is unfolding in China, the like of which the world has not seen since the darkest moments of the 20th Century.
- At least 1 million Uyghur Muslims and other minorities are in labour and prison camps
- Evidence suggests that Uyghur women of childbearing age are subject to forced sterilisation and other birth prevention policies.
- Children are being removed from their homes, sent to boarding schools that forbid our language and practice of our religion
- Uyghurs are subjected to forced labour, to produce products sold on the high street .
Who are Uyghurs?
We are a Turkic majority-Muslim people (like Kazakhs & Uzbeks), with our own language. We have lived in the our homeland of the Uyghur Region, an area the Chinese government call "Xinjiang," for over 1000 years.
What is happening now?
Documentary evidence, satellite imagery and witness testimony has shown the world that the Chinese Regime uses advanced digital surveillance to detain, enslave and otherwise persecute millions of us in camps for “separatism” or “religious extremism". We are aggressively profiled and extrajudicially detained on spurious grounds such as having beards , praying, owning Korans, or talking to relatives abroad.
Inside the camps
We face starvation, torture, murder, slave labour, rape and forced abortion, sterilisation and organ harvesting. We are made to drink alcohol and eat pork. Our hair is cut off and sold.
Outside the camps
Girls are forced to marry Han Chinese men; children are sent to boarding schools that forbid our language and religion; thousands of mosques and burial grounds are destroyed.
As recent leaked documents show, this persecution reflects Chinese Government policy that goes to the very top. Xi Jinping himself said that "absolutely no mercy " should be shown to the Uyghur people.
What your donation will support
A cross community and cross party campaign:
- Demanding an independent United Nations investigation into atrocities carried out against us
- Demanding governments recognise the genocide through appropriate legal means - independently from the UN if necessary
- Demanding governments pursue all possible methods to hold the Chinese Regime accountable, not excluding the possibility of coordinated sanctions with allies
- Demanding the UK impose Magnitsky style sanctions against state and non-state officials perpetrators
- Demanding the UK proscribes companies and institutions which are facilitating these atrocities
- Raising awareness of the scale and severity of this suffering through the media, in parliament and among civil society organisations
We will not stop until China:
Closes the camps, releases all prisoners, ends forced labour, sterilisation, and organ harvesting, restores our religious and cultural freedoms, and allows us to contact family abroad.
Thank you for helping us,
Executive Director, Stop Uyghur Genocide