Article about Stephen in the Des Moines Register
Stephen Kim was tragically taken from us on April 22, 2017 in a senseless act of violence. He leaves behind his wife, Esther Kim, three young boys and brother here in Des Moines, Iowa.
Originally a refugee from Myanmar (Burma), his family came to Iowa seeking safety from violence and a better life for their family. He was a caring father and devoted husband. He worked two jobs; one was at Cool Basil with his wife and brother. They earned their citizenships and changed their names, proud to be Iowans. They juggled their schedules working tirelessly to provide the best life possible for their children.
Stephen was a kind-hearted, soft-spoken and hard working person. He worked side-by-side with his Des Moinesian peers, always eager to help more than asked and always, regardless of all else, no matter how tired, with a smile. He was truly and uniquely a good, kind and selfless person.
We hope and pray for comfort for his family, especially his three sons who had to witness the unimaginable. We are asking those that can, to please help the family in this trying and awful time. We are hoping his family can take time to grieve, seek comfort and care for themselves without worry of funeral and some living costs. We are hoping this fundraiser will help Stephen's family with these specific needs:
* Education for their three young boys
- Now that Esther has been left to raise her children on her own, assistance in providing for their education in the years to come will be what is most needed.
* Funeral costs
- We are hoping to give relief to the family for the heavy funeral costs they must now take on.
* Helping Stephen's mother to come to the USA so she may attend her son's funeral
- Stephen was working to bring his mother, a refugee still living in Myanmar, to Des Moines so she could be with her son and grandchildren. Now that is too late, but the family is really hoping they can figure out the funds to bring her here at least for his funeral. We know it would have meant the world to Stephen.
Stephen Kim will truly be missed. May his family find some comfort and peace here in our home of Des Moines.
KCCI News Article
- Jim Schulze
- Brian Fitzgerald