Stand by Betsy

We all know her, we all love her! Betsy means a lot to many people a mother, a grandmother, an auntie, a sister, a friend, and your hairstylist!

On May 17, 2017, Betsy went to the hopital because she just wasn't feeling right. Betsy was told she needed to have her gallbladder removed. On May 19th she went in for the gallbladder surgery. Everyone in the family tried to put afrightened loved one's mind at ease. Explaining that gallbladder surgery is pretty routine and she would be back to cutting hair (her passion) in no time! Betsy was scared and convinced she was going to die! A typical routine surgery, or so we all thought! Sudden a hospital visit for a "routine surgery" turned into a nightmare! The very next morning, May 20th, Betsy was transferred to University of Denver Hospital because of "complications with the surgery." Within a couple hours of being transferred Betsy organs started failing and she became unresponsive and close to death. We were told that our mother would not make it through the night because her liver had no blood flowing to it and was not functioning. Heartbroken and exhausted there we stayed by her side! Morning came and Betsy was still with us. The doctors were all very surprised to come in and see that Betsy made it through the night. They did an emergency surgery to try and get some blood flow to her liver, this was somewhat successful. Right after surgery the doctor had some good news and some not so good news. Good news first- the surgeon informed us that 1/3 of her liver was somewhat working but not we'll enough to support her but long enough until she was able to have a liver transplant. Due to her extremely critical condition we were told that she was moved to #1 on the liver transplant list and she would not last long if they didn't get a liver within a week. After several sleepless nights, sleeping in the hospital we got the news, they had a liver!!!!!!! The liver unfortunately was not her blood blood type, but it was a liver! They performed the 10+ hour surgery and it was a success. We were told that Betsy has an extermely long road to recovery ahead of her and could potentially have many additionally medical complications as she heals.
Betsy has been in the hospital for almost a month now and remains on the Transplant ICU floor at University of Denver Hospital trying to get strong and stable enough to start physical  therapy. As much as we would love her back home we understand it's not going to be anytime soon.
Betsy owned an amazing Salon in Pueblo West but due to this whole situation we had to close her salon, her pride and joy. After Betsy is released she will be without her beloved Salon and will still have along road with healing and physical therapy. Our biggest worry is that she may not be able cut hair again. She is very worrired about incoming bills and not having income to support herself once she gets out of the hospital. Let's all get together and help put her mind at ease so she can spend all her energy healing.
  • Mark Howrey 
    • $1,000 
    • 59 mos
  • Glen Samson 
    • $50 
    • 59 mos
  • Anonymous 
    • $25 
    • 59 mos
  • Art, Barb Billstrand 
    • $100 
    • 59 mos
  • Lynn (rosa) Snell 
    • $100 
    • 60 mos
See all

Organizer and beneficiary

Sara Vail 
Pueblo, CO
Shelby Sharp