It has been reported by North East Social Trust NPO (NEST), Spencer Devine 's production partner who oversees all collaborations with artisans in rural Assam, that the villages of members of our Assam Capsule Project and their families have been devastated by severe flooding in North East India over these past weeks.
Altogether 1,193,458 individuals of 1,795 villages were affected due to the disaster caused by four major rivers in Assam overflowing. 76 people have lost their lives as a result of the flooding.
Apart from Human sufferings, crops on 164,370 acres of land were submerged and damaged creating a major threat to the food security and livelihood of the population in the near future. Over half a million farm animals have also been lost and otherwise affected due to the inundation of their shelter and food.
We’re hoping to raise $4,000 to provide food, clean water, building supplies, and clothing. 100% of your donation will directly go to the aid of Spencer Devine's aritsan partners, their families, and communities.
We realize not everyone is able to offer financial support — your continued support through spreading awareness is so valuable. Sharing this with your friends and family can go a long way.
While flooding is not uncommon during monsoon season, this year's flood is more wide spread and much more severe than recent years. Out of some 300+ families that NEST oversees the livelihood development and basic needs of, around 80% of these families are suffering from the recent flood.
The situation in the villages are as follows:
- The majority of the families have vacated their houses and are taking shelter in the roadside.
- The families are struggling for drinking water, in absence of it, people are drinking water which is unsuitable for consumption.
- Various health ailments are popping up in the villagers.
- No sanitation facilities forcing the community members for open defecation. The dignity of women is being jeopardized immensely.
- All the agricultural seeds in the field are being damaged.
- Deficiency of food and edibles.
- The deficit of Non-food items - like buckets, cooking appliances, and utensils.
- Lack of clothing for villagers.
- Most of the families live on daily wages, therefore there is a crash of livelihoods.
- Need of repairing of the houses after the flood recedes.
- No relief from any agencies to the families as of yet.
1. Provide water purification sachet.
2. Provide food items.
3. Conduct free medical camps.
4. Provide clothes.
5. Provide unconditional cash to cover house repairing and others.
1. Agricultural seed supply as livelihood recovery measure.
2. Flood resistant toilet block construction.
4. Flood resistant tube well construction.
5. Construction of Rising platform under Cash for Work.
Your support is appreciated from Brooklyn to Assam.
- Kristine Gottilla
Spencer Devine Founder & Designer
- Dennis Gottilla
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more