www.spaceincmovie.com ABOUT THE FILMThe most disruptive industry in human life is here. And we need to talk about it
For a long time, space exploration was an activity exclusive to governments and their respective space agencies. It has been distant from public reach, even though constantly present in our lives and imagination. But everything is about to change. Commercial space is now a reality and it is already responsible for the majority of the investments and technologies in space exploration, heading to its ultimate dream of democratizing space.
But this dream triggers a series of questions including political, economical, societal and existential aspects. What will be the impact of space mining on the environment on Earth and in space? Can space tourism produce a new philosophical debate about a borderless world? Can the democratization of space lead to the creation of a better society on Earth? Will space business provide opportunities for developing nations or will it increase the gap between the rich and poor countries?
We want answers to these and other questions. Therefore, we will interview Politicians, Economists, Environmentalists, Lawyers, Military and Business People, Artists, Philosophers, Astronauts, and Academia to build a documentary that will bring us to the depths of the fascinating world of private commercial space transportation and understand to the best of our possibilities how it will impact humanity.WHY MAKING SPACE INC.?We are the space generation but most of us don’t know it yet.
Now is the perfect moment to make this film because we are the brink of experiencing the real impact of these technologies in our lives, and as such it is necessary for us to explore and educate the public about the benefits and risks that might come with them. We should not wait for these technologies to be deployed to discuss the consequences that they might have in the environment, economy, and society in general.
This is the time to have a global and multidisciplinary discussion about these technologies. This is the time to inspire and educate entrepreneurs, governments, and the public about the crucial relevance of outer space for each nation and the whole world. But to do this we need your support. How informed would you like to be before this whole industry radically change your life? WHY THIS FILM MATTERS?We need to do it right, and since its beginning.
We have achieved a tipping point in human life in which every decision we take will be crucial in determining the future of human life and of life in general on Earth. Climate change, super population, water crisis, mass immigration…these problems are complex and many believe that to solving these issues we will need to leave our planet in order to fundamentally change the way we do things on Earth.
This idea has inspired our whole team, leading us in a serious effort to embark on a scientific and educational exploration to understand how commercial space exploration and exploitation will disrupt our economy and drastically change our current societal structure.
This may sound too far for most of us but we are at the brink of experiencing the real impact of these technologies and all nations will need to work together if we desire these changes to be for better. The extension and consequences of our actions in space are unknown, and we should start now to ask questions.
Our team is composed of a multidisciplinary group of award-winning artists and researchers (of both MSc. And PhD level) in aerospace, space law, business, and environmental engineering. We are passionate about the topic and we have already interviewed more than a dozen renowned experts and industry leaders from mostly Canada and US. But it is time to take the project to a global perspective to provide an honest discussion about the future of space exploration. WE NEED YOUR SUPPORT!It has to be a global effort. And it has to be now.
We can’t keep it local. Despite being an independent crew, we took our personal finances and traveled as much as we could around US and Canada. During the year of 2018, we were able to interview world wide famous scholars and important business figures in the space business. Moreover, we used our own money to launch a website and to edit a short video that can better exemplify our intents and is being used to raise awareness and find private donors. But now we are ready to take this to the next level by doing a feature length documentary that will include business leaders and researchers from all around the world.
We have contacts in Iceland, Brazil, US, Japan, India and in different countries in Europe and Africa that are ready to give us interviews and show us what they have been working on throughout the years. But we can’t do this alone. Through this campaign, we want to raise an initial $5,000, which will be enough to cover the costs of our trip to US in January to interview CEO's of space companies and to visit Cape Canaveral port.
By supporting this project, you too become part of this amazing exploration. You are encouraging the world to discuss its future by promoting a discussion about an industry that can radically change our lives and the lives of the new generations for much better or worse.
Every support will be celebrated by us and we know that we will never be able to find the right words to thank you enough. So thank you for being part of this amazing exploration!HOW TO GET INVOLVEDDonate, share, and share again.
· Donate to our project through this campaign. Every amount is welcome! We truly appreciate every dollar donated, and we are positive that with your help we can reach our goal.
· Subscribe to our website mailing, and follow us on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter. Receive updates and give us your feedback. We value your opinion!
· Share the link of this campaign and of our website with your social media networks and other contacts. By sharing you are helping us not only to raise funds but also to raise greater awareness of the project. With public support, it will be easier for us to expand the discussion and reach out to government agencies and schedule interviews with famous world leaders and entrepreneurs.
· Spread the word. Tell your family, friends, co-workers. Take them to our campaign, website and social media platforms. We all need to be part of this discussion!Become a private donor or a sponsor
· We are also looking for private donors and corporate partnerships. Thus, if you are interested in sponsor us, send us an email to email@example.com with the tittle “I want to be a sponsor”. We will be glad to show you our amazing partnership packages and provide your brand with great exposure throughout the project. Educate and create a discussion in class
· If you are a professor, take the discussion to class showing our short film and send us a video or photo of the discussion so we can share on our social media. We want to educate the public and the new generations about this new space race, and as researchers we would love to hear what they have to say as well! MEET THE EXPERTS
Here are some of the amazing people we interviewed so far (more to come!):
- Dr. David J. W. Kendall: Former Chair of the United Nations Committee on the Peaceful Uses of Outer Space & Former Director General of Space Science of the Canadian Space Agency.
- Dr. Lucy Stojak: Chair of the Canada Space Advisory Board & Director of HEC Montreal Summer School on Management of Creativity in an Innovation Society.
- Dr. Ram S. Jakhu: Professor and former Director of the McGill Institute of Air & Space Law (Montreal, Canada), MILAMOS project Director.
- Sidney Nakahodo: Co-Founder of the New York Space Alliance (USA), International development specialist, and Lecturer in International and Public Affairs at Columbia University (NY, USA).
- Steven Gonzalez: NASA’s technology transfer strategist
- Bettina Forget: Artist in Residence (SETI Institute), Owner of Visual Voice Gallery (Montreal, Canada), Editor Belgo Report Online Art Magazine
- Dr. Cameron Smith: Professor at Portland State University's Department of Anthropology and founder of Pacific Spaceflight.
- Lucas Fonseca: CEO at Airvantis, CTO at Celestialdata.io and Mission Director at Garatéa (Brazil). Only Brazilian to work in the Rosetta Mission at the ESA.
- Dr. Doina Precup: Professor in McGill's School of Computer Science and lead researcher at DeepMind's office in Montreal, Canada.
- Dr. Sandra Rodriguez: Lecturer at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology Open Doc Lab (USA), sociologist of new media technologies, and documentary filmmaker at EyeSteel Films.
- Dr. Alexander Karran: Postdoc fellow at Tech3Lab (HEC Montreal, Canada) in Human-Computer Interaction and Artificial Intelligence.
- Dr. Ngai (Erik) Chan: MSI Postdoctoral Fellow at the McGill Space Institute (Montreal, Canada) and is affiliated to the McGill Department of Earth and Planetary Sciences. MEET THE TEAM
A scientific film made by scientists and artists.
Daniel, Julia, Felipe, and Andras are passionate researchers in aerospace, space law, social sciences, and environmental engineering. Andras is finishing his cinema studies at Concordia University and Felipe has more than 10 years of experience in documental photography (holding two national canadian awards).
This multidisciplinary background of our crew is crucial to a deeper exploration of such a complex and relevant topic, and we are amazingly excited to make of this this most extensive exploration of the topic made in video so far. Some great people already believe in us, make part of this group and support us you too!More artists are joining us!
The team will also count with the extraordinary talent of the Brazilian Maestro Alfredo de Barros
(D.M. in Music Composition from University of Texas at Austin) and of the musician Ednar Pinho
(Alfredo’s senior student who is focused on composition for sound tracks). Both will be leading the sound track score for our documentary and we dream of being able to have a half Canadian half Brazilian orchestra playing live during the premier of the film
. PLAN AND CHALLENGES
· The biggest step has been taken, to start filming and to edit a short film. Now, our challenge is to put into practice our plan to make a documentary feature that gives voice to both spacefaring and non-spacefaring nations.
· We are working hard to acquire further grants and additional private donations to support the project. But as an independent crew we need also need a great distributor to be eligible to grants. Our total film budget is approximately $280,000 - a very reasonable budget considering that our crew we be working full-time on the project and the international perspective of our project. Although we know this is a very fundable film, being an independent crew has its downsides. Not having a consolidated production company behind us makes hard to apply for grants, thus we cannot guarantee we will receive enough funding to visit all the amazing projects we were already invited to film. However, we are optimistic and positive that we will together raise the funds we need even if we don’t have a production company supporting us. We will make this film together!
· Flying to different countries, receiving clearance to visit government agencies, and scheduling dates with industry leaders can be a bit tricky. Schedules can be unpredictable and we will be often challenged by our deadlines. Thus, taking that into consideration, we will ALWAYS keep you all updated on our progress and possible delays. We will work strategically not to miss our window of opportunity but we will also be careful not to rush too much in order to provide you all with an amazing film quality.
· What happens if we don't reach our goal? Your funds will still be applied directly toward the making of the documentary. What will probably happen is that it may take longer to finish the documentary and we might also have to remove from the list some of the amazing space projects and experts around the world. And we don’t want this to happen. Thus, every dollar is important, and so your support! So, if you already donated, please share the project with everybody you know! And if you for any reason can’t donate, still, share it! We are sure that we can make this together!
· What happens if we exceed our goal? That would be a dream coming true! Every dollar that exceeds our goal will still be directly applied to cover our total production costs of approximately $280,000 . Exceeding our initial funding goal means not only the reassure that we will be able to do a thorough exploration of the topic but it will also show to private partners that we have a solid support of all of you and thus that they should help us meet our total budget! So, donate and share our project! Now is the time to discuss how we want our future on Earth and in space to be. LET'S EXPLORE SPACE TOGETHER!
This project is call for the debate of our future. A future that holds both great risks and opportunities depending on how we choose to develop space exploration and exploitation. But this discussion can't be done without YOU ! Space is everywhere and the whole world needs to be aware of the impact of space business in our lives. So, join us in this amazing exploration and spread the word by sharing with all your network about this project.
Thank you all, a million times, for your support! We deeply appreciate every share, mention, donation and feedback from our supporters and we will keep on working day and night to make the most fascinating documentary about space exploration.
Felipe, Julia, Andras, Daniel