My name is Chelsea Elliott, and I am a mother of two and a social worker who created the EQ Kids Crew Comfort Kits. After the senseless devastation in Buffalo and yet another senseless, heart-wrenching tragedy in Uvalde, I feel compelled to help contribute resources to the affected children and their families' healing processes. My goal is to raise $20,000 by July 31, 2022, to deliver 600 comfort kits to impacted families.
The EQ Kids Crew Comfort Kits were designed to help young children, especially those exposed to violence and emotional trauma, work through their feelings in healthy ways. The resources in the kit help them express themselves and work through emotional challenges in a safe space. I created these comfort kits so our kids can grow up knowing that their feelings are valid, normal, and manageable.
These kits are a critical resource in a world where:
- 50% of all lifetime cases of mental illness begin by age 14;
- Suicide is the 2nd leading cause of death in people 10-34;
- 1 in 6 children 6-14 experience a mental health condition in a given year;
- 1 in 6 adults has experienced childhood traumas that can negatively impact their future; and
- Up to 15% of children who experience trauma develop post-traumatic stress disorder.
With your support, hundreds of children in Buffalo (at least 100 kits) and Uvalde (at least 500 kits) will receive a Comfort Kit.
Each Comfort Kit includes:
- a card deck that consists of 48 emotions with kid-friendly definitions and activities for deeper understanding
- a spinning wheel with seven emotions
- a writing and drawing journal for kids to express themselves
- a Comfort Bag to hold all of the listed items and other things that bring them comfort
Each kit costs $33 to create and ship, and all donations received will go toward those expenses. If you want to sponsor a certain number of kits, here is a breakdown:
1 kit = $33
5 kits = $165
10 kits = $330
50 kits = $1,650
Thank you for your help. Your donation will profoundly impact the lives of these children and families far beyond their youth.