- Sokha Farm Mission
Sokha Farm is a permaculture initiative in rural Cambodia that aims to educate local farmers and students about sustainable agricultural practices, while also welcoming foreign travellers interested in volunteering and promoting the Farm’s vision around the globe.
This work is crucial as many individuals returned to Cambodia after the civil war and genocide with little or no resources, housing, or livelihood opportunities. Sokha Farm aims to help Cambodians in implementing healthy, eco-friendly agricultural techniques on their farms, which will allow them to more strongly support themselves while also protecting the wellbeing of their communities.
The major projects currently requiring support include:
- A garden nursery to start growing new plants that can be freely shared with local farmers
- School gardens in the local community to teach children how to grow organic, healthy food and supply them with nutritional meals
- Starting a ‘cow bank’ project, in which community members are given a cow to use for fertilizer and income generation, and the calves born are passed on to new families
- Installing bio-gas digesters for select families in-need in the region in order to provide sustainable energy and organic fertilizer; this technology will be used as an educational demonstration for other farmers in the region
- Completing the construction of homestay cabins in partnership with another NGO for farmers and travellers to stay in, learn about the farm, explore the community and financially sustain the Farm’s projects
Anyone that has met Sokha has witnessed the remarkable level of generosity, passion, and warmth that he emulates. Despite working full time, going to school to advance his degree, and raising a young (and adorable) son, he is a strong, positive role model in his community, with an unwavering commitment to his vision of helping other Cambodians.
I personally met Sokha in the spring of 2017 and worked closely with him for several months on a collaborative nonprofit project. He quickly became a close friend as his hard work, hilarious sense of humour, and perspective on the past and future of Cambodia captivated me. This is why I’ve actively stayed in touch with him since leaving and am committed to helping any way I can by running fundraising events and submitting proposals to larger organizations in partnership with him.
Regardless of our support I know Sokha is going to make a huge difference in his community. However, by even offering a small financial backing, you will be able to remove obstacles and shorten the journey that a strong leader faces in paving the way towards a brighter future for Cambodia. Visit his Facebook page Sokha Farm for pictures and more information, and message me directly for more information!
DonationsSee top donations
- Bryan Cox
- Michelle Cochrane
- Amanda Cordray
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more