"We need diverse books more than ever because books fight hate. Because children’s books can effect change.
Because all voices must be heard and celebrated."
- Chronicle Books, San Francisco
Hi I'm Jessica Wilson, a writer and poet, born in London of Jamaican-descent.
I have written a children's picture-book for 5-8 year olds entitled 'Sofia the Dreamer and her Magical Afro'
: falling asleep each time her hair is styled, Sofia travels in her dreams, visiting a Jamaican Rastafarian, African ancestor and black panther
The characters Sofia meets help unpick and demystify the politics, history, heroes and joy entangled within the tight coils of kinky hair.
I wrote this book for so many reasons!
1. to add to the pluralism of children's literature
2. to celebrate a different version of beauty
which has not been given enough esteem in the mainstream.
3. to raise awareness of African history and the histories of those of african-descent
. The only thing I learnt at school which touched upon African history was how the slaves were brought over in slave ships!
4. to spread a message of love, unity and revelling in what makes each of us unique
! This is a story about many things but the central message is respect and recognising yourself in other people
which is so important.
5. to bring joy, upliftment and momentary escapism
to children and adult readers.
I have self-funded thus far but I need help in order to take the book to fruition.
The funds will be used to complete:
2. Design (layouts)
3. Facilitate the first print run which will be distributed to those donating (yourselves), sold and used for marketing and PR purposes.
I would like to secure funding by 1st April 2017
so that the book can be available for purchase from 1st June 2017.About me
Last year, I won a competition for my first collection of poems 'The bulldog and the hummingbird'
(available in May) which was run by the BBC and Penguin Random House
to encourage diversity in literature.
I have only ever wanted to be a writer and have written all my life but am yet to publish a book: in funding the fruition of this book, you would be realising my dream
Thanks for reading.
Feel free to get in touch.www.jessica-wilson.com