Shellie May Nicholas - More Time

Please help us extend Shellie’s life!

Hello friends, family, it’s Paul here.
Late last year (around Oct.) my wife began having unusual back pain. I remember her having a hard time explaining to me where it was originating from. She didn’t think too much of it, thinking maybe she pulled a muscle or something simple like that, figuring that it would go away soon. This persisted and so she finally decided to see her doctor. Over the course of several weeks and multiple tests, even an ultrasound, nothing presented itself as the cause.

During that process, it came time for Shellie to have her routine mammogram. Some days after the mammogram, Shellie was contacted and was told that they found something that “was normal for women her age but, to be sure they wanted to schedule a biopsy.” What was odd is that they also wanted to schedule a follow up appointment with a surgeon. After this call, Shellie called a friend in the medical field, told her what was said and she told Shellie that they don’t do that unless they found something serious. The results from the biopsy were due to be in sometime on Friday March 9th.
Waiting all day, Shellie decided to call. By this time it was around 4:30 PM. She was unable to get anyone willing to give her the results over the phone.

3/12 8:30 AM, Monday: appointment with the surgeon. The surgeon came in, introduced himself and began to speak to Shellie as if she had received the results from the biopsy. “…with your diagnosis…” Shellie, “wait, what diagnosis?” Surgeon, “Oh….you don’t know? You have breast cancer.” Lobular carcinoma. This cancer feeds on estrogen. He preceded to tell us that it’s slow growing, and caught “early.” Bad news…but goods news too. Very treatable. Not a death sentence. Then he went on to tell us what her options were surgically. Lumpectomy or mastectomy/bi-lateral mastectomy. All the pros and cons for both options, etc. Also, if bi-lateral is chosen, talked about reconstruction surgery. After an hour of discussion, he said, “You need to decide what you want to do,” Shocked and emotional to say the least. Shellie was already leaning strongly towards a bi-lateral mastectomy to eliminate the possibility of the cancer returning to any remaining breast tissue and having to go through this all over again at some point down the road. He then mentioned he would get Shellie an appointment with a plastic surgeon to be informed about all that is involved with reconstructive surgery. That was set for 3/22.

A day or two later we were informed that they “need more information” and rushed an MRI appointment. 

3/15 Thursday: MRI. Imaging of both breasts to see if cancer was in left breast too. Also, if Shellie decides on a lumpectomy they needed “margins.”

3/19 Monday: Received call on MRI findings. They told us that they are “all scratching their heads,” because they felt the MRI would answer the questions they had but, it did not. They found a cyst that is attached to Shellie’s sternum. Also, that there looks like there may be cancer in the left breast as well. They said that they needed a CT/PET scan for a “clear” picture of where the cancer is. They ordered the CT/PET scan ASAP/soonest possible opening.

3/21 Wednesday: CT/PET scan. Shellie was injected with a dye that attaches to cancer cells. Had the scans and then we headed home.

3/22 Thursday 1:30 PM: Plastic surgeon appointment. An hour drive. We had just been called in with the surgeons nurse and while she was gathering information we received a call from Shellie’s doctor, the surgeon that would be performing the bi-lateral, if that was what she was to decide on having. He informed Shellie that he had the results from the CT/PET scan. The nurse gave us the room and we put him on speaker so we could both listen. I tell you, this was the worst moment of my life. I’m sure Shellie would likely agree that it is hers as well. He said, “you have stage 4 bone cancer,” and, “your skeleton lit up!” “It’s inoperable, incurable.” “Surgery is not an option now.” “I’m very sorry about the timing, if we had the results sooner, you wouldn’t have had to drive all the way to Clackamas for this Plastic surgery consult. You won’t be having surgery.” “I’m so sorry.” I was looking at Shellie as she began to cry, both of us in disbelief. We both began to sob. He told us that this is out of his hands now and that he is referring us to oncology and asked us if we had any questions. I asked him, “if she’s does nothing, what is her life expectancy?” He said, “two…maybe three years.” There were a couple other questions but I don’t remember what they were. We had the room alone for a few minutes after the call was over. We just cried. The nurse returned briefly to tell us that the plastic surgeon had just been informed, but he would still like to speak to us if that was okay. He was very kind. Very sorry that we had received such news. Asked us if there was anything, anything at all that he could do for us. That was very nice of him, but he doesn’t have the power to give us what we need.

We’re now members of a club we didn’t choose to join. A monster has come into our lives and it is bent on taking Shellie from us. How did this happen? Why?

Shellie has a bone biopsy scheduled for Monday morning, 3/26. They don’t know if the breast cancer moved to the bones or if it is a different cancer. She has an appointment with oncology Tuesday 3/27. Oncology will likely push one of, or a combination of a chemo estrogen inhibitor treatment, and other drugs or radiation. Probably push hard and fast.

On Tuesday 3/27, there will be a board meeting at Kaiser and Shellie’s case will be discussed. They keep saying, “we’re all scratching our heads.” After each diagnosis, they had an idea of how to proceed, but each new test only added more confusion and more unanswered questions.

We have chosen to fight this seemingly unbeatable monster. Whatever we can do to prolong Shellie’s life, we are willing to do. We have no medical bills thus far. Our medical insurance covers 100%. However, we have been researching natural methods that have had much success. We know of a number of people that have had very good results. Shellie has personally spoken to a woman that had received a very dire prognosis with colon cancer and aggressive lung cancer. She is still alive more then 15 years later and is cancer free. Of course, our insurance does not cover this type of treatment.
           This is why I am asking for help. We don’t have the money that we need to try to give us more time. Blood work has shown that Shellie’s organs are still healthy. All her blood work results came back all within normal limits. They are saying no cancer in her organs. She is strong! As soon as we can, we need to get Shellie to The Hoxsey Clinic in Mexico. http://www.hoxseybiomedical.com
We need money for travel expenses, for the initial visit at the clinic of about $60, $1800-$2300 to be paid up front for the first 6 months of treatment, only IF the Hoxsey clinic tells us they can help her. Shellie has to radically change her diet. I don’t know yet what that entails yet but I don’t think that will impact us financially too much. This treatment will be ongoing. We need about $3000 as soon as April 20th. We want to get Shellie to the clinic as soon as possible.

Please help us! Any amount that you can personally give will add up. If nothing else, please include us in your prayers. I will update every week or more often when ever there is any more information to share.

Many of you are finding out about this through this effort, and for that I am truly sorry. We have called family members and many friends with this news and, as you can imagine, it is very time consuming and emotionally exhausting. We love all of you and hope that you can understand why I am doing this. Please feel free to contact us directly if you have our numbers. Or, direct message us through Instagram @paul_shelliemay_nicholas to get our contact information. Your words of encouragement are most definitely needed.

Friends, I need Shellie in my life as long as possible. In July we will celebrate our 33rd anniversary. Our children, Joss 26, Jaelynn 25 in April, and Tieren 10, need her as long as possible too. We need more time!

Thank you all for enriching our lives! We have so many dear friends that we are blessed to have in our lives.

With sincere appreciation,
Paul Nicholas




Donations

 See top
  • Jacqueline Lanham 
    • $75 
    • 25 mos
  • Anonymous 
    • $75 
    • 31 mos
  • Alexis Lassich 
    • $20 
    • 32 mos
  • Anonymous 
    • $5 
    • 34 mos
  • Kim & Victor Yonkey 
    • $100 
    • 34 mos
See all

Organizer

Paul Nicholas 
Organizer
Longview, WA
  • #1 fundraising platform

    More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more

  • GoFundMe Guarantee

    In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more

  • Expert advice, 24/7

    Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more