The St Georges Road Resident Action Group (SGRRAG) is rallying and galvanising support to ensure the development at the Windsor Smith Factory site is appropriate and sympathetic to the community’s needs NOT developer greed!
SGRRAG is working tirelessly to maintain the integrity and strong community values that as residents we ALL hold so dear.
In 2013, we successfully pushed back the development from a proposed 6 storeys to 5 storeys in keeping with the overlay, particular to this site. The developer has now submitted an application for a ludicrous 10 storey development with a supermarket, 8 shops and 4 basement level car parking.
Over the last few months we have:
· Lobbied our local Council and Councillors for their support on this matter
· Attended Council meetings to make the concerns of the local community heard and ensure that we are represented fairly
· Met weekly to consider developments and formulate strategies
· Attended a VCAT directions hearing
· Interviewed local residents to be represented by a local journalist in the media
· Kept our struggle in the media through elevating our profiles
· Contacted Town Planners, VCAT, Lawyers
· Sought advice from residents in surrounding neighbourhoods who have successfully fought similar developments
We have put as much pressure as possible on the Council and the developer to make decisions that will benefit everyone.
Now we need your support to make sure that this happens.
Through our experiences in combatting previous developer applications we have learned that we will have more success with professional representation.
We will need to engage the services of a planning advocate and expert witnesses. In order for this to be achievable we need to raise approximately $16,000.
We are asking the support of you and our community to raise these much needed funds to ensure the values you treasure about your home and your community are heard by decision makers in the upcoming hearing to determine the fate of the proposed 10 storey development at the old Windsor Smith Site at 195-209 St Georges Road, Northcote.
Please consider giving generously to support our plight to protect the future of your neighbourhood - the place you love.
If you live in Beavers Road, Bent Street, Elm Street, Gladstone Avenue or on St Georges Road and surrounds, this development impacts you.
To reach our target, we need donations of $200 from 80 residents, or donations of $100 from 160 residents.
We appreciate your donation and your support with spreading the word to help us meet this target.
Yours sincerely, on behalf of the St Georges Road Resident Action Group
Joh Villani – Beavers Road Northcote Louise Monahan – Bent St Northcote Pam Hancock – Bent St Northcote Rebecca Passlow – Beavers Road Northcote Emma Morrison – Beavers Road Northcote