I’m reaching out to you to lend a hand to Rehoboth – a home that shelters around 230 mentally challenged women, most of whom are picked up from the streets. I know the organisation through my sister, who helped them during the devastating floods that hit south India in 2015.
Many of us might have come across someone - a friend, family member or could have ourselves been affected by a mental illness at least once in our lifetimes. If a temporary dip in mental health like anxiety and depression can paralyse our lives, imagine the life of one who has been affected by a serious mental illness that makes them disabled for life… or worse still… having a child or a family member with such a mental disability, whom you need to care for - for the rest of our life and theirs!
The moment I imagine myself in that situation, the first words that come to my mind are Compassion, Passion, Love and Inclusiveness. That’s what I see in Zorida Samuel – the Managing Trustee of Rehoboth and her dedicated team.
Rehoboth strives to rescue, feed, medicate and rehabilitate women with mental disabilities, who have been abandoned by their families.
Their projects include:
• Residential Shelter for destitute mentally challenged women
• Rehabilitation Shelter for destitute mentally challenged women
• Arise – an initiative to help exploited and abused mentally challenged women
• Day Care – to help against abuse and exploitation of mentally retarded children of poor families during the working hours of the guardians
• Vocational Rehabilitation - The residents are trained in handicraft making, tailoring, embroidery and candle making.
• Self-sustaining & Rehabilitation Projects
- Agricultural & Farming Project
- Retail outlet shop which sells donated used and usable house-hold articles after minor repairs besides products and produce from the rehabilitation projects. • Social awareness campaigns
For more information on the wonderful work that Rehoboth offers, please watch this YouTube Video. This documentary was put together by a French couple in recognition of the amazing service that Rehoboth offers. It moved me and I’m sure it’ll touch anyone who would like to make a difference to another person’s life.
Let’s make a difference together!
PS: No amount is too small - it all adds up
Thank you! For those who'd like to contribute in Indian Rupees, here are their bank account details:
Bank Name: Oriental Bank of Commerce
Account Name: Rehboth
IFSC Code: ORBC0100581
Thank you for your time and your generosity!
DonationsSee top donations
- Swati Karwa
- Ano Nymus
- Bina Trivedi
- Claudio Canepa
- Bradley Pascoe
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more