Through this campaign, we are raising funds to send our students to see the movie "Black Panther" in theaters.
Approximately three-quarters of all raised funds will be used toward the cost of movie tickets (approximately $12 per student). The remaining one-quarter of raised funds will be used toward buying popcorn (and/or other snacks) for students.
(Funds will be withdrawn from the GoFundMe by Chloe Diamond, a teacher at PS/MS 206. The funds will then be used to purchase movie tickets and snacks for students through Fandango and AMC.)
As the first Marvel movie with an all Black cast, as well as a Black superhero, we are aware of how significant this movie is for our students. We whole-heartedly believe that it is vital for them to see themselves portrayed in positive and powerful roles - as royalty, as revolutionaries, as activitists, as leaders in STEM and as superheros.
In light of this, we have identified various benefits of this experience for our school community:
- Continued celebration of Black history and the achievements of Black Americans
- Acknowledgement of the talents of African-American and Black actors and actresses, as well as the director and screenplay writer
- Representation of Black/African-Americans in powerful and intellectual roles
- Connections to the African heritage through language, costume and traditional dress, and cultural customs
- Access to rich content through visual and auditory-based media
- Exposure to vivid literary and storytelling elements, such as character, theme, setting, conflict, tone, mood, and point of view
- Comparing characters in "Black Panther" to influential Black leaders and historical figures
- Fostering interest in science and technology
- Shared experiences between students from diverse cultural and learning identities within one school
- Opportunities to utilize the four guiding principles of our school culture (i.e., cooperation, responsibility, empowerment, and determination) in a non-school setting
We look forward to engaging with students and staff in post-viewing lessons and learning activities based on the film to cultivate deeper content knowledge and understanding.
We thank you in advance for your support of our brilliant students!
- Amelia Chappelle
- Racheal Ayinla
- Jennifer Lim
- Catherine Fuselier
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more