We have reached our goal, between this fund and donations to our paypal, so have locked accepting further donations rather than continue to keep this open! We have what we needed, what we asked for and more than we dared to hope. Thank you to all who shared, reposted, blogged, upvoted, linked and most of all to those who donated. As of today we are legally in contract for the house and will be able to get this home. Your kindness and love made every difference. WE ARE LIFTED BY OTHERS.
I (also known as Maxwell Graf online) and my wife Cheryl are trying to cover the down payment & closing costs on the mobile home above, to start our lives over again. First, why this situation is so dire for us that we felt the need to ask for your help:
- In 2017 we lived in Washington state and lost our home and all our possessions in a disaster.
- We lived in our truck for several months, not finding anywhere that would rent to us as we drove across the USA to start our lives over again.
- 3500 miles away in North Carolina we found an old brick diner downtown which I was able to convert to residential use. The owner agreed to a month to month handshake deal, no lease.
- I got a job at Lowes. Cheryl got hired at the local Hospital where she has worked on the front lines during all of the covid 19 pandemic.
- In 2018 she was in a head-on car accident on the way to work which almost killed her. She survived through several surgeries and continues to have nerve and minor brain damage as a result. She falls over a lot now. For many months I drove her to work and back while also continuing to work my job.
- We worked on and improved our credit scores, sold both of our owned vehicles and purchased older ones, putting the difference into an account for a down payment on a home.
- We were approved for a home loan and began putting out offers in the area we could afford.
- Then, disaster: In August we were told the row of buildings we are in was purchased by an investor who has informed us that he is converting our home back to a commercial property; we must vacate the premises soon.
We just had an offer accepted this week on the mobile home you see in the picture, our lender approved it but today we found out our total costs to go into contract are about twice what we have in our savings account. We have not been able to find housing close enough to let her keep her job, renting or buying, until this one. We are so close to having some stability. We need your help desperately to be able to keep from becoming homeless again. Please fund us if you can.