I'm Tracy and I work in Contemporary Christian radio in Austin, Texas. I haven't always been a dog person but I became one when I fell in love with a sweet rescue beagle named Skylar. I lost her back in March of this year when she suffered a heart attack. We had 5 great years together and she was my greatest love. Months went by and I began exploring getting another rescue dog. I made the decision to get another beagle, a younger one so I would have more years with her. I located a 4 month old beagle in San Antonio named Scout, her owners were prepared to give her up. Because of their personal choices or circumstances they could spend virtually no time with sweet Scout.
I made the decision to bring Scout home with me!
The first 24 hours with Scout went fine. The next day I took her outside and she began running in a tight circle and screaming, unlike anything I had heard or seen before. I took her inside and within 10 minutes it started again, running in a tight circle and screaming, as though she was in excrutiating pain.
I rushed her to the nearest emergency animal hospital. Thankfully I live within 3mi of a 24-hour ER center. After Scout was examined, x-rays revealed that she had a perferoated intestine that was likely caused by the administration of an excessive amount of something similar to Advil or Tylenol. They had to call in a surgeon, it being Friday night.
I found myself with a crucial decision. I had three choices. One, I could do nothing in which case she would die from septic shock within hours. Two, I could have had her euthanized at 4 months of age or three, they could operate and have a 90% chance of saving her life.
So I chose to save her life.
I find it difficult to rationalize that people can be so insensitive and cause animals such pain. Yet here's where I found myself; they could save her life but the cost at that time was estimated between $4000-$5000.
Thankfully she has been saved and should be coming home within a few days, only it wasn't $5,000, it was $9,500.
Once they operated they found that the amount of bacteria that had seeped into her body cavity was much more than what they thought. Had we not elected to operate she would have died within hours.
She has had to be monitored 24 hours a day, given a wide array of antibiotics along with a drain inserted into her little body cavity, spending five days in the ICU.
The vets have assured me that her body is no longer toxic and she is projected to live a full life in a loving home.
The thought of putting this puppy down due to the carelessness and negligence of her previous owners was beyond my comprehension. When faced with this decision, I just could not make it.
If you can find it in your heart to help me save this innocent puppy I would be so very grateful. Your gift will help to cover the cost of her surgery, treatment, ICU stay and recovery.
I'd be so grateful if you'd share this with dog lovin' friends too.
This precious puppy, through no fault of her own found herself in this awful predicament.
Thank you so much for your consideration!
Scout & Tracy