The OA has recently been cancelled by Netflix after it's critically-acclaimed 2nd season, despite ending on the biggest cliffhanger ever. Fans around the world have used the hashtag #SaveTheOA to ask for a 3rd season, and now we're ready to take it a step further.
Times Square is one of the largest commercial zones on the planet, drawing over 1.5 MILLION people every day. What better way is there to send a message to Netflix than to advertise The OA? It would draw in many new viewers and it would make headlines.
It costs around $3500 dollars to rent a digital billboard in Times Square for a week, and I think this is completely achievable. Any donation would be a massive help, and would make The OA Season 3 one step closer to reality.
IF YOU WANT MORE OF THE OA, PLEASE DONATE!
Here's the Reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/TheOA/comments/cotq2x/savetheoa_ad_campaign_lets_fundraise_to_advertise/
And the advertising site, don't worry, the official Times Square site links to it, so it's trustworthy: https://bigsignmessage.com/
More info about me and the campaign:
I'm Ryan Lulofs, I'm a film student in Atlanta, Georgia. I'm raising this money to help #SaveTheOA, to advertise the #SaveTheOA movement, and draw new viewers in to the show.
Step 1 - Design Ad
- Use fan art for graphics - use no Netflix owned content including logos, font, or the name of the network
- Present design to fans/campaign organizers
- Have fans vote and get fandom approval/agreement for design
- Select dates for ad to run
Step 2 - Pay for Ad
- Provide receipts/proof of purchase of ad to donors
Step 3 - Prepare for billboard ad launch
- When the billboards launch, the hashtag used on the billboard will start trending due to user interest and media attention. We need to use this opportunity to take control of the media narrative about what we the fans want Netflix to do.
- Make press release
Step 4 - Billboard launch
- Billboard(s) go live
- Press release sent out
- Hashtag trending on twitter (#SaveTheOA)
- Curate list of outlets that publish press release/or info about the fan campaign/billboards
- Cross post all mentions of the billboards/press release/campaign across social media channels
- Monitor traffic, mentions, etc across social media
- Volunteers in each billboard city to take images/video of the billboards in action
Step 5 - Continue social media push
- This part is up to you guys! You need to:
- Tag any/all people on social media involved with the show. Encourage them to like/share the news and/or hashtag
- Film yourself doing the movements and post with the hashtag #SaveTheOA
- Try to get trending on Twitter
Step 6 - Wait for Netflix's response
- The ball will be in Netflix's court, we have to pressure them into renewing The OA
Edit: Due to some problems with my personal bank account, I will be withdrawing the funds to close friends account (Nicolas Merino Bartra). He has supported the campaign every step of the way and is an avid fan of The OA. As soon as the billboard has been paid for, we'll update the GoFundMe page with proof of purchase.