The Navy is proposing a massive development on the NAVWAR site alongside Pacific Highway just east of Old Town, which will have extremely adverse impacts on San Diego’s livability, beauty, and very distinction as America’s Finest City.
We are fundraising to collect monies for legal fees to register official letters of complaint to the Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) and oppose the adverse impacts introduced by Alternatives 2-5. Defense may include analysis by traffic and air quality/hazardous waste/greenhouse gases experts. These funds will be used by August 12, 2021 to register legal complaints before the NAVWAR comment period closes.
Alternatives 2-5 include:
- 21-32 story wall of up to 65 high rises and more than 100 buildings.
- Traffic increases as much as 70,000 new daily car trips.
- Negative impacts on 19 historical sites (Old Town, Presidio Park).
- Diminishing air quality and noise pollution given the 30-year Build-Out.
- Destruction of San Diego’s very quality of life – living, working, and vacationing in this city.
NAVWAR Preferred Alternative 4 (seen from Presidio Park)
Save San Diego's Character, a coalition of concerned citizens, business owners, and community leaders, was established to oppose the Navy’s high-density plans. We support:
- Modernization of the NAVWAR site to optimize the Navy’s Security National Defense and Antiterrorism Force Protection.
- Tallest building to not exceed 55 feet.
- Maintaining the architectural integrity and character of the surrounding Old Town, Mission Hills and Point Loma historical areas.
- Protecting the historic buildings within the Old Town Heritage District, California’s oldest town.
- More time for Navy, City, Community, and Historic Organization input to private development and transit plans.
Our Preferred Alternative 1 (seen from Presidio Park)