We are a voluntary group composed of local residents and concerned individuals who are worried about the potential devastation that a wind farm on the Arklow Bank and other sandbanks along the South-East coast will have on the coastal environment.
• YES, renewable energy is essential for the future of our planet.
• YES, wind farms are a great source of clean power.
• YES, offshore wind farms are a good idea.
• NO, turbines of this size should EVER be so close to shore.
• NO, the damage to the East Coast, Arklow Sand Bank and its ecosystem will be incalculable.
• NO, this plan does not use worldwide best practice.
Poolbeg Chimneys in Dublin are 207 metres tall
Wind Park Phase 1 installed 3.6MW turbines 124 metres tall 12km from shore
Whereas the proposed wind farms off Louth, Dublin and Wicklow are up to
12MW+ turbines 300+ metres tall 6-13km from shore
HERE'S THE PROBLEM:
Multinational energy companies want to build some of the biggest offshore wind farms in the world right on our doorstep.
- The proposed wind farm is too big to be this close to shore
- The enormous turbines will sit on the delicate sandbank which has been formed over centuries and form a buffer against tides and rising seas. The bank also helps to replenish the sand on our beaches along the southeast coast. These giant wind turbines could interfere with this natural process and decimate our beaches and sand dunes.
They're planning to install giant turbines which are up to 300 metres high right on top of the Arklow Sand Bank only 6 to 13 km off the coast. Shockingly, in the EU the average distance for a wind farm off the coast is 43km.
These enormous structures could have a disastrous effect on our coastal erosion and marine life and seabirds habitats.
This is a classic case of environment vs big money situation! This is a money-grabbing opportunity by foreign companies at the expense of Ireland's nearshore marine environment.
IT IS FUNDAMENTALLY WRONG!!!
HERE'S THE SOLUTION:
- Move the turbines out to sea, on floating platforms, as they now do everywhere else in the world.
- Introduce a 22km wind turbine-free zone off the South-East coast.
- Designate the sandbanks as Marine Protected Areas (MPAs).
HOW TO HELP:
Help us to stop this destruction of our heritage. Please donate as generously as you can.
- We will inform people of what is going on.
- We will legally challenge these big companies at every opportunity
- We will persuade the people and politicians to do what is right.
- Please help us to protect our beautiful coastline for future generations!
- We need your financial help to make this happen
Please donate now!
DonationsSee top donations
- Georgina O’Brien
- david moffitt
- Iverna Hynes
- Caroline Higgins
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more