On the evening of July 3rd, at 1030 p.m., fire crews were dispatched to a house fire in the 4000 block of E Platt. On arrival, they found one home heavily involved with fire and flames spreading rapidly. They initiated a quick, offensive attack and saved the adjacent homes. Upon entering the home of origin and continuing to engage in the firefight, interior crews came across the family dog, Sampson. They were able to work together to rescue the frightened animal after it initially bit one of the firefighters. The dog was returned to grateful owners and the fire was knocked down.
The home owner reported that they heard loud fireworks outside their home and when they went outside they saw a tree near the home on fire. The flames quickly spread into the home and the attic. The home was destroyed and 3 residents were displaced.
Thankfully, no human injuries were reported but this fire is an example of the tragic consequences that can result from misuse of fireworks. Unfortunately Samson sustained substantial injuries from smoke inhalation and had to remain on oxygen for 3 days at 24/7 PetVets. He will unfortunately suffer long term effects from the smoke inhalation, however his owner is overjoyed that he was able to be found in such a fire-ridden home.
The family has paid over $8k in costs for Samson's care, and any support you can provide is greatly appreciated. They are not expected to return to their home for a year or so due to delays with Covid-19.
Watch the intense helmet cam video here of what your #fresnofirefighters faced while putting out the fire and finding Sampson.
- Jill McCool
- Louis Reba
- Kenny Colgan
Organizer and beneficiary