Rather than letting young women stumble into this new terrain by themselves, our hope is to equip and empower the next generation to better understand themselves and their sexuality in a healthy way through honest dialogue with safe people.
We'll be partnering with professional therapists and using Peggy Orenstein’s NYT bestseller "Girls & Sex " as a guide, which makes it abundantly clear that this is a conversation begging to be had with young women everywhere.
● Real talk between high school & college-aged young women and professional therapists. Invited mentors can come for free.
● A separate seminar for parental guardians on how to talk about sex & sexuality, facilitated by Lisa Olson, Marriage & Family Therapist Intern and credentialed School Counselor.
● Participants will receive a free copy of "Girls & Sex".
● Looking sexy vs. experiencing sexuality
● Joy vs. shame
● What is virginity?
● Social media & sexting
● Alcohol & sexual experience
In an effort to make this conversation accessible to all young women, we are seeking donations to subsidize the cost of the event. We appreciate your support and partnership. Let’s not leave our younger sisters hanging. Anything helps.
● Free copies of the book “Girls & Sex” for each participant.
● Scholarship admission for young women who cannot afford to come.
● Counseling fees to our Team of Therapists
● Remaining proceeds will be donated to scholarship funds for counseling at Berkeley Christian Counselors and Community Presbyterian Counseling Center as well as to Berkeley Younglife, a faith-based youth mentorship program.
Interested in joining us?
High school and college students and their parents/caregivers are welcome. Register for Girls & Sex Here
What You Can Do
The estimated cost of this event is $2000 and anything above and beyond will be donated to the counseling and mentorship programs listed above.
Here's how you can partner with us:
● $15 covers the cost of a book
● $50 covers the cost of vital snacks to appease hungry teenagers.
● $50 covers the cost of printed materials and resources we'll be passing out.
● $100 covers the cost of 1 therapy session.
● $500 covers the cost of 5 therapy sessions.
● $1000 covers you with warm fuzzies and the secret gratitude of every teenage girl you come across for the next week.
● $5000 individual donation - we'll make it free for anyone and everyone. Yup.
The Team of Therapists
Elisabeth Callahan has a Masters degree in Social Work from the Smith College School for Social Work. She was trained in psychodynamic psychotherapy and seeks to come alongside clients to help them hold and work through the experiences that shape their life and faith journey. Elisabeth has experience working at non-profit and community-based agencies throughout the Bay Area, with people of all ages from various ethnic and socioeconomic backgrounds.
Mackenzie Sodestrom is an Associate Marriage & Family Therapist & Professional Clinical Counselor Intern working at Community Presbyterian Counseling Center in San Ramon. She loves working with young women around issues of identity and is passionate about integrating healthy female sexuality into that narrative. She has also mentored high school women in youth ministry at First Pres Berkeley.
Makenna Clements is an Associate Marriage and Family Therapist, currently working towards licensure at Community Presbyterian Counseling Center in San Ramon. Makenna has a Master’s in Marital and Family Therapy from Fuller Theological Seminary. Makenna is developing her work with adolescent and emerging adult women around healthy sexuality, empowering them to move away from shame, and towards emotional and relational healing and well-being.
Lisa Olson is a school campus therapist walking alongside adolescents as they navigate the complexities and pressures of adolescence, academia, and self-discovery in today’s fast-paced culture and digital age. She works collaboratively with clients to tackle the biggest parenting challenge: that adolescents believe they are invincible and omniscient. Lisa received her Master of Arts in Marriage & Family Therapy from Saint Louis University and her School Counseling Credential from San Jose State University.
DonationsSee top donations
- Erin Pence
- Sarah Ranney
- Ellie Kelly
- Brynn Mitchell
- Rebecca Pinckney
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more