Running to Save My Friend's Life

A dear friend of mine in Egypt, who has asked not to be identified, needs our help.

We need your donations to help keep my friend alive.

My friend, who is in their early 30s and has a small family who need them, was recently diagnosed with myelofibrosis.

This serious cancerous disease causes extensive scarring in the bone marrow. It affects the production of normal blood cells and causes severe anemia, weakness, fatigue, and an enlarged spleen and liver. 

A very risky surgical procedure can be done to replace the scarred bone marrow with bone marrow from a matching donor. There is a 30% chance of death in this procedure. There is a 20% chance of extreme side effects if the donor’s marrow attacks the recipient’s organs. And there is a 50% chance of success.

My friend needs time to make the very difficult decision of whether or not to undergo this surgical procedure. Currently, it is the only possible cure for the disease.

In the meantime, doctors have given my friend a new drug called Jakavi. This drug is keeping my friend alive. It does not cure the disease but it does relieve the symptoms and it improves my friend’s quality of life.

The drug costs 33,000 Egyptian pounds a month; that is more than 4300 US dollars or 2800 British pounds a month.

The government of Egypt will cover the costs of the surgical procedure, when and if my friend decides to go down that route. However, neither the government nor my friend’s medical insurance is covering the cost of the drug.

On March 15, I plan to participate in the Barcelona marathon. By then, I hope to have raised some awareness about myelofibrosis and as importantly to have raised some money towards covering the costs of my friend’s drug therapy.  

Please donate as much as you can. You could be saving my friend’s life.

Please be aware that 7.9% of any donations coming through this online payment system automatically go as fees to GoFundMe and Stripe, the company that is providing the secure online payment system. As far as I could find, this is standard practice in crowdfunding and it is the only way I could find to allow for secure, easy, online payments. If you know me personally and would like 100% of your donation to reach my friend, get in touch with me and I will provide you with my bank details so you can make a bank tranfer. In this case, the only charge that might be made is that done by your bank to process the transfer.

Donations (0)

  • Anonymous 
    • £36 
    • 52 mos
  • Salaheldin Sheir 
    • £50 
    • 52 mos
  • Anonymous 
    • £52 (Offline)
    • 52 mos
  • Anonymous 
    • £877 (Offline)
    • 52 mos
  • Anonymous 
    • £265 (Offline)
    • 53 mos

Organizer 

Nadia El-Awady 
Organizer
Leeds, Yorkshire and the Humber, United Kingdom
  • #1 fundraising platform

    People have raised more money on GoFundMe than anywhere else. Learn more

  • GoFundMe Guarantee

    In the rare case that something isn’t right, we will refund your donation. Learn more

  • Expert advice, 24/7

    Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more