The North Castle Historical Society, the Town of North Castle Landmarks Preservation Comittee and the White Plains Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) are collaborating to restore the monument to Reuben Wright’s Mills, located on Route 22 in North Castle. BACKGROUND:
The monument commemorates the site of Reuben Wright's Mills, headquarters of General George Washington from July 20th to 25th 1778. Wright's Mills were located in Old Kensico Village, now inundated by the waters of Kensico Lake. (For any history 'buffs,' it may be of interest to know that it has been reported that captured British spy Major John Andre was taken to Wright's Mills before being taken farther north to Thomas Wright's (later called Sand's) Mills. For more information on Wright's Mills click here.
The two millstones on the monument were taken from the Deutermann Mill, known earlier as the Horton Grist Mill on present day Lake Street in White Plains, where General Washington stored supplies during the Revolutionary War.
The monument and millstones were placed by the White Plains Chapter of the DAR on October 28, 1932 on the 156th anniversary of the Battle of White Plains (see newspaper article below).HELP US REPAIR AND RESTORE THE MONUMENT:
The monument has been in a state of disrepair for many years. In recent months, the face of the monument has crumbled significantly. Further, due to the fact that the monument is located on the reservoir/NYC DEP sanctioned land, accessing the site for maintenance is challenging.
The cost of restoring and repairing the monument will exceed $10,000. Additional funds will be needed for the cost of relocating the monument to a new, more accessible site.
Please consider donating to help us in this effort to preserve this historical marker! We will post updates on our progress regularly.