Rescue Cosmic Cats of Tulum
My name is Sandra, I also go by Ms. Cosmic. I started caring for street cats when I moved to Tulum a little over a year ago. While several organizations exist to take care of dogs, there is less attention on cats and also a huge overpopulation of cats here.
Street cats here have it rough, they have to constantly deal with the stray street dogs that attack them, are usually filled with parasites from eating garbage from the streets (that is a big problem here), and even humans who are unfriendly and don't want them around - some even resort to killing the cats or the babies.
I started an NFT Collection called Cosmic Cats 420 , focused on using funds to help resolve this issue, start a TNR program (trap, neuter, release) with cages and eventually have a Cosmic Cafe and Cat Sanctuary here in Tulum.
We want to give more cat lovers a chance to help us, as the financial burden is becoming a lot and also give people a chance to donate who may not be into NFTs.
So far we have:
- Bought 2 cages that our community uses to capture kitties for TNR or adoption
- Sterilized 23 street cats (capturing cats for TNR can be quite a challenge and dangerous - reason why we needed cages)
- Partnered with 2 vet clinics and 3 vets to provide discounted sterilization and veterinary services
- Actively feeding a colony of approximately 15 cats
- Helped 5 cats in need get veterinary care, services and food.
- Fostered and successfully placed 18 cats in their furrever homes.
- Onboarded 3 new team members!
- Formalizing contract with adopting parents to ensure quality and loving care
We want to do more though!
Expand TNR program and buy more cages
The TNR program is a huge part of this because cats only gestate for about 60 days, and females can get pregnant even while nursing. We also want to get more cages to expand our network of volunteer trappers and foster caregivers.
Expand adoption locally
Educate the community on the many benefits of cat ownership for health and mental well-being. Continue to publish materials on cats available for adoption and prepare kitties for their furrever homes; that means vaccinations, deparasiting, flea treatments, checkups, healthy food and lots of loving care.
Expand adoption abroad
Who doesn't want an IRL Cosmic Cat from Tulum???
We want to give the many tourists visiting us from all over the world a chance to bring back home the BEST souvenir you could ever get, a beautiful, sweet little being that will heal you and provide countless smiles and serotonin boosts.
Bring on more volunteers, create paths to paying jobs in the organization and continue to save cat's lives around the world.
Will you help us? It really would mean the world?
Ms. Cosmic, Omankat, Mr. Charrascat and Shikokuz)
(Sandra, Noan, Jesus, and Angelina)