Mental health has always been personal for me. Figuring out how to manage my own mental health hasn't always been easy, but it’s something I am constantly working on and I hope I can help others, too.
That’s why I launched the Rare Impact Fund as part of Rare Beauty’s commitment to addressing mental health and chronic loneliness.
What is the Rare Impact Fund?
The Rare Impact Fund is part of my beauty brand, Rare Beauty’s commitment to give people access to the resources they need to support their mental health. Rare Beauty donates 1% of all sales directly to the Rare Impact Fund. Because we know that we are always stronger together and every donation can make a difference, in addition to raising funds with our community, we raise funds with philanthropic foundations and corporate partners to increase access to mental health services in educational settings.
Why Mental Health in Education?
Did You Know?
- 1 in 5 adults experience a mental illness each year according to results from the National Survey on Drug Use and Health (as cited by NAMI, 2021) 1 and many say this number will increase by the time COVID-19 is over.
- In a recent report by the American Psychological Association, 7 out of 10 Gen Zers (ages 8-23) were most likely to report experiencing common symptoms of depression3—with pre-teens and teens having the highest rate of suicide ideations as compared to other age groups, according to the Annual State of Health in America (as cited in USA Today, 2021).
- Suicide is the second leading cause of death in the Gen Z community according to the CDC (as cited in Business Insider, 2019).
- One-half of all chronic mental illness begins by the age of 14; three-quarters by the age of 24, according to the National Institute of Mental Health (as cited by the CDC, 2018).
- Only 16% of all children receive mental health assistance in school environments where they spend the majority of their waking hours, according to research by Clinical Child & Family Psychology Review and Health Affairs (as cited in USA Today, 2021).
- In recent years, only 1.3% of overall philanthropic investments went to support mental health, according to data from CANDID developed by the Center for High Impact Philanthropy (as cited in Inside Philanthropy, 2020).
We believe that learning about, and providing support for, mental health, is just as important as any other subject. That’s why, in honor of Mental Health Awareness Month, Rare Impact by Rare Beauty is launching Mental Health 101. Mental Health 101 advocates for more mental health in education, empowers our community, and encourages financial support for more mental health services in educational settings through the Rare Impact Fund.
Rare Beauty will be matching $200,000 of donations to the Rare Impact Fund.
Here’s How You Can Help:
If you are in a position to contribute and you have the means to take action, we hope you will donate today. No dollar amount is too small. If you are not in the position to donate, spreading the word to your family, friends, and community is just as powerful.
Your tax-deductible donation to the Rare Impact Fund will be collected and managed by our fiscal sponsor, the Hopewell Fund, who will then distribute the money raised to a cohort of organizations that have created evidence-based programs that address social and emotional learning in schools, strengthen youth support networks through mental health trainings, and provide more suicide prevention and crisis response in educational settings ranging from K-college. We have identified the first cohort of five grantees that will focus on supporting young people in the educational system. We will be announcing these partners and their programs that will be supported by the Rare Impact Fund in the coming months.
We need to meet young people where they are, with the resources, services, and education needed to support their mental health. And we need to act now. We hope you’ll join us!
*The Rare Impact Fund is a fiscally sponsored project of the Hopewell Fund, a 501 c3, public charity.