On Sunday, July 17th, 2022, rain crowe arrived home to find her tiny house had been invaded by a stranger who had barricaded themselves inside. This person was wearing rain’s clothes, trashing her altars and personal magical spaces, claiming her identity, and being extremely combative. For hours into the night, rain and her landmates worked to de-escalate the situation without calling the police, and the person finally left the property.
The burglar managed to find and steal various valuables and emergency supplies including:
- rain’s personal ID documents including her passport and social security card
- All her emergency cash savings
- Emergency credit and bank cards
- Beloved heirloom jewelry such as her grandmother’s rings
- Extra keys to her vehicle
- Several precious items of clothing gifted from students and elders
- A single Tarot card, The Fool
rain has chosen to live simply in a converted truck tiny home on communally-tended land on the periphery of Tryon Creek State Forest for over a decade, with limited access to amenities like running water and plumbing. As a working class, queer, semi-disabled and neurodivergent witch at the edge, her gardens, friends, and community-based offerings have nourished her along with her indelible dedication to spirit work in spite of much adversity that comes from living a life that challenges dominant norms in end-stage capitalism during a global pandemic.
We, members of her care circle, are asking for community support to help replace her stolen and damaged belongings, provide financial security as she recovers from the traumas of this invasion, and to generate a fund that can provide a foundation from which to build regenerative stability for rain’s good work and wellbeing in the long haul.
Your support will enable rain to recover from this recent crisis by allowing her to:
- Rest & emotionally recuperate from trauma.
- Take time needed to tend to the tedious logistics of replacing documents, navigating bureaucracy, and guarding against identity theft.
- Cover lost income due to missing weeks of work.
- Make short-term security improvements on her home and vehicle.
- Access therapy and follow-up care.
- Provide food and groceries.
For some years, rain has envisioned a transition out of the city and into a space where she may put down roots. This recent violation of rain’s space, boundaries, and resources feels in some way to be a portent of the necessity to take decisive steps forward.
This seed fund may also provide support for rain to:
- Devote time to find, plan, prepare for, and logisticize her move to a new mold-free home.
- Create housing security by helping her to potentially finance, renovate, or build a tiny home, trailer, yurt, cottage, etc.
- Cover rent or costs associated with establishing new residency.
- Install a set-up for rural living that may require pouring a concrete/gravel platform, sourcing off-grid power, acquiring materials/equipment, etc.
- Establish reliable transportation by fixing up her truck and covering some gas costs.
- Replace many of her belongings that have been destroyed by mold.
- Access health specialists for chronic pain, emotional healing, and toxic mold detox.
- Allow her to take some time off from the constant pressure to commodify and produce to recover and bring her spirit back to her soul’s work.
- Get grounded, vision, and fortify her capacity to further her work as a facilitator, spirit-tender and host for people who wish to co-create a cultural seed bank for future generations.
If you are unable to donate and you would like to help in additional ways, we thank you!
Here are other possible ways to contribute:
- Share this fundraiser and invite loved ones to donate. You can find shareable posts on social media on her Instagram and Facebook (accounts are largely unmoderated and run by a volunteer).
- Reach to your networks and contact us if you have ideas for a potential next home for rain:
-- Land that could benefit from being tended, loved, and lived upon.
-- A dwelling place (portable or permanent, in any condition) that may be happy to house a radical witch, temporarily or long term.
-- A rural land project or community with space for another member.
-- Handy help, sourcing materials, building, other types of labor.
-- Sourcing/donating solar system materials.
-- Consultation, designing & visioning.
-- Donating bodywork or acupuncture for treatment of chronic pain.
-- Encouragement, kind words, community-weaving.
-- Good blessings and prayer to uplift these endeavors and energetically co-hold these intentions.
To stay in the loop about ways to help and learn more about the spirit work rain offers, visit villagemysteryschool.com and sign up for her newsletter.
If you’d like to make a monthly donation, join rain’s Patreon.
Thank you for offering support to make rain’s thriving elderhood a possibility, as a blessing to all who care as deeply for this earth and the struggles of those who live here as rain does.
Signed, the members of her care circle:
Fundraising team: Rain's Care Circle (2)
This team raised $14,388 from 209 other donations.