My name is Vanessa Harris, and as a nature lover I have dedicated my life to working in environmental management to help conserve wildlife and nature in Australia. Five years ago I travelled to Africa, and the wild landscapes, animals and people stole my heart. A passion was fired up in me to use my professional skills to help conserve important species, habitat and involve local people in creating a sustainable future.
In 2017 I was super excited to be selected for a research internship with Save the Elephants in Kenya for May/June 2018. I have now arrived in Samburu, Kenya, and have a specific project to complete before I leave in just 6 weeks, but I need some funding to make it happen.
- Conduct a rangeland condition assessment of the Samburu and Buffalo Springs National Reserves, and the surrounding community conservancies.
- Train local staff in the field methodology to be able to continue the long term monitoring after I leave.
Check out the STE website for more information about the work they do to protect elephants: Save The Elephants
- Nayeie, my Samburu warrior and driver. He used to be a livestock herder and has noticed the grass disappearing. -
REASON FOR PROJECT:
Since the 2009 severe drought, the local communities have been using the reserves for unrestricted livestock grazing and the impacts are beginning to show with soil erosion, reduced grass availability and restricting movements of wildlife. My study will quantify the condition of the landscape through soil and vegetation assessments (using Landscape Function Analysis).
This information will be used in discussions with the communities and parks management for planning livestock grazing and range management.
- Making a 'bolus' to test soil composition and type, while being guarded by Naxeie and a park ranger -
My study has started, but our vehicle has broken down and gone for repairs in Nairobi. I am now STRANDED without access to the field and only the next 3 - 4 weeks to complete the field component of the study. I have self-funded all my costs of being here, but am now out of funds and needing support to hire a vehicle and pay for some field equipment that is not available.
YOUR donation of $5 or more will help!
- My vehicle, before being sent away for repair -
UPDATE: Thanks for the help from one of the local staff, we have found a landcruiser located in Samburu for hire and negotiated a much better rate.
- 4WD total USD$2,169.
- Incidental costs for a game ranger to protect us while working in field, survey pegs, paint markers, measuring tapes, compass, petri dishes, soil sample bags etc. = total USD$500.
This study is extremely important to help the future of wildlife living in this remote part of Kenya and for these wonderfully kind and generous people who have welcomed me into their community.
FUNDS NEEDED NOW!
PLEASE DONATE via this page, PayPal or bank transfer.
Please contact me for PayPal or bank details.
- Elephants in Samburu enjoying the short bounty after the rains -
- Valeria Zanotto
- tonja boyd
- Donna Zaffino
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more