What does 100 years of U.S. citizenship mean to the island of Puerto Rico?
We are raising $50,000 to pay a reporter full-time to unearth this untold story.
This project will feature full-time coverage of Puerto Rico so we can get answers to this question and never let Puerto Rico leave the national or local conversation.
When you back this project, you're helping to create:
- 200+ articles that will reveal the true story - Videos to accompany the written story - A published anthology dedicated to the diaspora paired with videos on the same subject - And a national symposium opening in fall 2017
Help us bring awareness to the beauty of Puerto Rico, its people, and its dynamic history.
This project will include:
- A comprehensive look into the history of the relationship between Puerto Rico and the U.S. leading up to now.
- Continuous coverage of how the debt crisis has impacted the personal lives of Puerto Ricans on and off the island.
- Comprehensive written and video profiles of impactful Puerto Ricans aiming to make a change within their communities.
- Daily updates on the debt crisis, in addition to issues important to the Puerto Rican Diaspora.
The Puerto Rican debt crisis is an American issue. Let's change the national conversation from one that treats Puerto Rico as a foreign country, to one that focuses on the lives of the U.S. citizens who have been directly impacted by these circumstances.