The Welsh Government propose to introduce guidance on home education and enact legislation that will breach the fundamental human rights of home educating families in Wales and breach the rights of HE children under the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child.
The proposal includes:
• Making interviews with HE children, by LA officers Mandatory
• Making meetings between HE parents and LA officers mandatory.
• Issuing school attendance orders to any parent who does not comply with the above.
• A requirement that all NHS services provide information about HE children to the LA.
• A requirement that independent schools provide information about any HE child to the LA.
Freedom to electively home educate in Wales is under threat, just as it is in England and the Isle of Man.
Please support us in defending all home educating families, as we seek to raise funds for a legal opinion by a prominent QC in respect of the Welsh Government’s proposal. We have been given a fee estimate by the QC of £3,500 plus VAT (ie a total of £4,200).
You will note that we are asking for a little bit extra to cover the Go Fund Me fees.
Relevant parts of the opinion will be shared on this site.
Please contribute as much as you can afford, but if you can’t afford to, please help by passing on information about this appeal to other families. Receipts will of course be provided.
The consultation closes on 21 October 2019, and it is our intention to submit the QC’s opinion by then.
Please respond to the consultation if you have a stake in home education.
Protecting Home Education Wales
Other helpful links:
DonationsSee top donations
- Ceri Macrae
- Ian Eastwood