People who love Gnarabup have been fighting for more than 30 years to protect Gnarabup Headland from development. And now it seems we are in the last months of the fight.
In partnership with Surfrider Foundation Australia we have set up a crowd funding campaign and ask you to give what you can to help us see this fight for Gnarabup Headland through to the end and give it our best shot at success!
Since the current proposal to build a housing estate and resort on Gnarabup Headland was announced in June 2020 we have made good progress.
• April 2021 Preserve Gnarabup referred the development to the Environmental Protection Authority (EPA).
• October 2021 the EPA opened a short 7-day public consultation period and more than 1200 people and organisations responded with more than 90% calling for the project to be assessed by the EPA.
• December 2021 the EPA announced it had decided to assess the development’s impact on the environment at the highest possible level – Public Environmental Review (PER).
• January to March 2022 the Department of Planning, Lands and Heritage (DPLH) opened a 6-week public consultation on the Development Application. More than 2000 people and organisations made submissions with over 89 per cent stating they were opposed to the development.
• March 2022 the Shire of Augusta-Margaret River advised DPLH it also opposed the Development Application.
Now we are getting ready for the next steps which include:
• A public consultation by the Federal Department of Agriculture, Water and Environment on the referral of the Proposal by the Developer under the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999.
• A two-week public consultation by the EPA on the Developer’s Environmental Scoping Document (ESD). This is the draft of all the environmental studies that the Developer proposes doing as part of the assessment.
• A four-week consultation by the EPA on the final Environmental Review Document (ERD) that the developer provides to the EPA on the expected environmental impact of the development.
For this work we need to engage some professional support to give us expert advice and prepare materials and images. We hope you can help with this by making a donation.- All donations will go to our charity partner Surfrider Foundation Australia who will use the donations towards paying for the professional support we require.
When we get to the end of this campaign, with a decision made on the development of Gnarabup Headland either way, any funds raised and not spent on protecting the Headland from development will be used by Surfrider Foundation Australia Margaret River Branch for future environmental campaigns.
Please stay up to date with our latest campaign activities on our Preserve Gnarabup Instagram and Facebook pages.
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/316638219366407
- Instagram: @preserve_gnarabup
- Website: https://preservegnarabup.org.au
With gratitude for your support.
The Preserve Gnarabup Team & Surfrider Foundation Australia
DonationsSee top donations
- E. Carl Uehlein
- Debra Chambers
- Frank Gaschk
Fundraising team (2)
Raised $100 from 1 donation
THE SURFRIDER FOUNDATION FUND
Donations are typically tax deductible in Australia.