At birth, Baby Hayze immediately underwent surgery due to his stomach partially closing and cutting off blood flow to the exposed intestines. This closing is a rare complication of gastroschisis and was unable to be seen on ultrasound. Further treatment to correct this birth defect was only partially successful and 6 weeks later Baby Hayze returned to surgery so his intestines could be fully enclosed in his body. While in surgery, his doctor discovered 2 suspected areas of atresia. These are areas where the bowel is either extremely narrow or completely closed off. The surgeon decided to give Hayze's body time to heal but a 3rd surgery was likely to happen.
6 weeks after the second surgery, Baby Hayze returned to surgery for a 3rd time. Both suspected atresia sites were removed. He emerged from surgery with 60 cm of small intestine instead of the normal 170 cm.
To date, Baby Hayze is still in NICU unable to go home with his Mom, Dad and two loving sisters. Attempts to try and feed Hayze were unsuccessful. Tubes are still in place to drain his stomach and he receives his nutrition through IV TPN and lipids.
His parents were recently advised additional surgery would be necessary and the possible removal of more intestine was in his future. Baby Hayze’s liver is also at risk due to the medications needed to help his pain and condition.
After doing a lot of research, his parents have found some hope for Baby Hayze at Children’s Hospital in Boston, MA. Doctors there specialize in Baby Hayze’s condition and have experienced success with Omegaven, a treatment that helps to prevent and hopefully reverse liver damage. The Omegaven is FDA approved in only a few States. As you can imagine, a ray of hope has entered the lives of Baby Hayze’s family. On Friday, July 7th, Baby Hayze was accepted to the program in Boston and the doctors have accepted him for care.
Baby Hayze and his mom will be heading to Boston for a while. They will be separated from Hayze’s two sisters and his Dad who will stay behind to work and earn money for the family. With continued prayers, it is our hope this treatment will be successful and Baby Hayze and his Mom will return home once he is stable. After this, Baby Hayze will need to return to Boston every two months for at least the next few years.
His parents and family wish to sincerely thank the doctors and staff here in New Orleans. They have been wonderful and supportive. They have dried our tears and celebrated Baby Hayze’s triumphs along with us.
Baby Hayze will soon need to be medevaced to Boston. As you can imagine, Baby Hayze’s condition has placed huge financial stress on this young family of five. If anyone can possibly donate funds to help absorb costs, travel expenses, lodging and post care, we would be eternally grateful. Any amount will help and be greatly appreciated.
This is an amazing, precious little boy who is fighting for his life! Hayze has quite the battle ahead of him. We also ask for your prayers. Please keep Baby Hayze, his parents, sisters and family in your prayers. His parents need the strength of our Lord to continue to touch them.
Thank you for your love, kindness, compassion and prayers. Keep up with Baby Hayze on Facebook at Pray for Hayze - #HayzeStrong
DonationsSee top donations
- Monique Guccione
- Denise Touchette
- Mona Steele
- Chris Roberts
Organizer and beneficiary
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more