Patti Desperately Needs Your Prayers & Support

$3,940 of $50,000 goal

Raised by 30 people in 1 month

Patti Desperately  Needs Your Prayers & Support

Written by Robert (her husband) and Leslie (her daughter) with short stories from friends, relatives and co-workers. We have chosen to write Patti’s story from her perspective in hopes you can better understand and appreciate this most difficult time in her life.

Hello, I am Patti,

Before I tell you my story I want to thank you for coming to my GoFundMe Page, it means a lot to me.

I’m not much different from most of you. I graduated from high school, 2 years of college, got married and started a family. I have two wonderful children (Derek and Leslie) and started a career in cosmetics. I’m married to a remarkable man, Robert, who wants nothing more than to make our life together the happiest it can be.

After about 20 plus years I changed careers and went into property management where I have worked for about 16 years. I now work at SHAG (Sustainable Housing for Ageless Generations) where I get to work with fantastic people and help seniors find comfortable and affordable places to live. My favorite part of my job is getting to know our residents and seeing the smiles on their faces as they enjoy the fun activities we have for them. I know I can really make a difference in their lives, and my team tells me how much I do.

Five years ago, we bought a wonderful home and immediately started putting our own touches on it. We planted 22 roses, created a border with boxwoods and planted a pussy-willow which I absolutely love and a beautiful white dogwood. Sitting on our porch, you can easily get lost in the wonderful park like settings.

Life Was Good AND Then Came the Storm

They say when it rains, it pours and well the last few months have been a hellacious monsoon. It all started when I decided to get a back surgery because I couldn’t stand for more than 10-15 minutes and it was getting extremely difficult to walk. The surgery went well despite my severe intolerance to most pain medication which made my recovery far more difficult and longer than it would have otherwise have been.

I was in the hospital about a week before I was permitted to go home still largely confined to bed. My husband, Robert, was my caregiver and was doing a great job, cooking my meals, bringing me my meds, you know all the things you need assistance with when you are truly disabled.

The Next Wave in the Storm

A little more than a week after I came home, Robert slipped on a piece of wood (a railroad tie) which is used in landscape bordering and he broking his fibula, tibia and shattered part of his ankle bone. After surgery he ended up with a plate, two rods and 5 screws in his leg. The doctors said he wasn’t to put any wait on it for 3 to 4 months.

Wait a minute – he was supposed to be my caregiver. It forced me up out of bed sooner than I was supposed to. Despite that, I did eventual recover from my surgery. I was doing extremely well and even was back to work on light duty.

And Then the Monsoon Hit

On Memorial Day, I was really feeling great. In fact, I was feeling better than I had in years. In the morning I made two pies and then I went to cut some fresh roses.

I never made it back into the house and haven’t been home since. I started to go into the house and collapse on the stairs. I was unable to get up. Fortunately, my husband was outside doing what he could to prune the roses. When I collapsed, he tried to help me but with a broken leg there wasn’t much he could do so in a panic he called 911.

39991318_1560740214377034_r.jpegSo what happened, you might be wondering. I had a brain hemorrhage that resulted in a massive stroke. I later learned that being diabetic makes me susceptible. They took me to the hospital and in for immediate surgery to relieve the pressure because I stopped responding and went into a coma. After the surgery I was able to open and move my eyes but that was the total extent of my recovery, even after two weeks.

The doctors have since put me back into a coma because I started suffering from what is called“Non-Convulsive Status Epilepticus” or NCSE. A fancy way of saying I have epilepsy without the typical physical spasms you would associate with it.

This is a very rare condition and even where the bleeding originated is highly unusual. According to an online medical article “if based on the EEG the anti-seizure medication did not work, and the patient has been diagnosed with non-convulsive status epilepticus (NCSE), the NCSE poses major problems if occurring in the context of acute brain lesions.

Consequently, current treatment options are still unsatisfactory, and mortality and morbidity rates remain high

This story isn’t finished as I’m still waiting to find out if I am going to live. That said, YOU can really help me by donating what you can. Anything will help with the medical bills which you can imagine are massive and we may even lose our beautiful home.

I was out of work for all of April and part of May, and now even if I survive this ordeal, I won’t be able to go back to work for a very long time as recovery from the stoke can take well over a year, if ever. My husband is retired with disabilities, a result of serving as a two-tour Vietnam veteran.  We don’t have the means to weather this storm without your help. So please, PRAY for me and my husband and if you can, please donate today!

Thank YOU!

Patricia (Patti)

This page will be updated as my status changes, so stop by again and see how this story ends.

Last update:  7/7/2019
Short Stories From Family, Friends and Co-workers (to be add shortly)

From Roger H. (Brother-In-Law)

Meet my sister-in-law Patti. She's my wife's kid sister, and I've known her for over 55 years. Everyone sees challenges in life, but Patti seems to have had more than her fair share. But Patti has always been a sweet, optimistic, gentle soul. Recently, life finally seemed to be settling into a well-deserved place, until Memorial Day, when she suffered a devastating stroke. Her devoted husband has not left her side, except for short times for personal hygiene and filling out financial paperwork.

Please pray for this gentle soul, and donate if you possibly can. I want to see Patti's smiling face again.


From Joleen M. (Dear Friend and SHAG Employee)

Patti Bohn is loved by those who got to know her sweet personality-not only as a friend but at work as well. Patti gave people her time, great effort and all her energy to help each person that asked. She always gave you her all no matter what it was or concerning. She loved to garden and so she got a gardening club started and people are getting it together and enjoying it! 

Please pray for this very special lady and if you can please donate.


From Cecelia M. (Dear Friend and Former Resident)

It is my honor to call this dear gentle and happy soul my friend. I met her where I live. Patti was our leasing agent. It has been about five years since she left our property. Residents are still talking about Patti. We want her back. We love you Patti! ❤️

Donations of every size will help and greatly needed.
+ Read More
OMG! This Wednesday morning, Patti took yet another large step forward.

This morning Patti opened her eyes on command for Dr. Johnson (pulmonologist). This is hugh as this the first time she has opened eyes on command.

Over the last week she has shown more and more conscience effort. Before it was relaxing and attempting to open or straighten her legs or open her mouth.

You wouldn't think that the things you and I take for granted could be so meaningful but when you have been in a comatose state for two months, they are hugh because they are clear signs of conscious effort.

Thank You God, for such encouraging signs that you are here helping Patti recover and thank all of you for your prayers and support.
+ Read More
After a week of no improvement Patti showed signs of improving albeit minimal on Sunday night and we will have to wait and see if she continues.

Per the night RN, Patti's blood pressure (Systolic) was between 112-120, her blood sugars were under 200 and her heart rate was 100 or less so they didn't need to give Patti any Fentyal to help reduce it.

According to the CNA, who is responsible for changing Patti's bedding and rotating every couple of hours (no small task), checking her blood sugars every four hours, said that Patti had been somewhat responsive since midnight.

The nurse woke me about 4am, Monday morning, when Patti had her eyes wide open. It only last about 5 minutes but it was great to see.

When she told Patti to open her legs so she could place a pillow between them, Patti relaxed them and tried to open them.

Then later at 6am when the nurse was placing on her back, Patti's legs were tense and curled, so the nurse told Patti to straighten her legs. She relaxed them and the two of us were able to straighten them.

Something very interesting happened around 6pm.

Normally Patti awakes briefly to being stimulated as any one would who is sleeping but rarely voluntarily.

I walked in with the reverend (Patty Becker) that married us 16 years ago and we hadn't seen her since. As soon as we walked in we saw Patti's eyes wide open and Patti looked at the reverend and then at me and you could see her facial features change, a faint smile was on her face. What an incrediable greeting for the reverend.

What an exciting moment for me!

Thank God for such a beautiful moment!

The Power of Prayer! We need a mircle if Patti is to survive this tragedy!
+ Read More

Not much has changed since my last update. The nursing staff are still struggling to control the symptons of neurostorming which are profused perspiration; varying heart rate; varying respiration; and elevated blood pressure just to name a few. They have been trying various meds to control the numerious symptoms of neurostorming and appear to be close to a combination that works.

One hugh improvement is on the weening of the ventalator. Patti is now at pressure level 4 down from 10. At this rate there is a good chance that Patti can have the ventilator removed by about the 20th.

Once the ventilator has been removed then the hard part is taking her off the trach. She has to be able to swallow (she is already doing that), swallow on command (not currently excuting any commands), breath on her own without the use of a ventilator and no suctioning of secretions for 72 hours.

Time will tell how quickly this will occur...

Please continue to pray for my dear sweet Patti. As many others have expressed better than I, this world can not afford to loose such a loving, caring and giving lady.

Thankyou and if have already done so help spread her story.
+ Read More
Patti has been far more active today than in recent past. She would look at me and then back to pictures I was showing her or to the other people in the room. She also has been yawning a lot.

I very excited to see all the activity.

I want everyone at SHAG to know it is obvious the love and appreciation they have for Patti.

SHAG not only provides wonderful, affordable places for seniors to call home but is truly an awesome place to work where, from management on down care about each other.
+ Read More
Read a Previous Update

$3,940 of $50,000 goal

Raised by 30 people in 1 month
Your share could be bringing in donations. Sign in to track your impact.
We will never post without your permission.
In the future, we'll let you know if your sharing brings in any donations.
We weren't able to connect your Facebook account. Please try again later.
Sarah Criswell Woodside E. Manager
3 days ago
15 days ago
Brenda Freelen
15 days ago
Connie & Leigh Ann From Woodside
18 days ago
Old friends from Woodside
18 days ago
Cecelia McIlvoy
18 days ago
18 days ago
Teri Manley
18 days ago
Maureen Manley
18 days ago
Danette Wilson
19 days ago
Use My Email Address
By continuing, you agree with the GoFundMe
terms and privacy policy
There's an issue with this Campaign Organizer's account. Our team has contacted them with the solution! Please ask them to sign in to GoFundMe and check their account. Return to Campaign

Are you ready for the next step?
Even a $5 donation can help!
Donate Now Not now
Connect on Facebook to keep track of how many donations your share brings.
We will never post on Facebook without your permission.