Since I was young, it’s been my life’s mission to help people. I volunteered for many years with the Polish Red Cross, helping people after natural disasters, through personal hardships and emergencies.
Right now, there is a humanitarian catastrophe happening in Ukraine and I’ve decided to go to the border to provide hands-on support. Sitting at home while people are fleeing war and dying at the hands of the Russian tyrant Vladimir Putin is breaking my heart.
What I have done so far (between the 2nd and 8th of March)
- Sponsored two days of breakfast.
- Created in Medyka a special nursing corner for mothers with their infants.
- Created a wonderful kid’s corner with a small cinema, a pool with stuffed toys, little tents, and creative supplies.
- Helped set up and organize a housekeeping to manage the hundreds of refugees at Medyka Refugee Center (350-500 people daily) where I was volunteering.
- I bought much needed cleaning equipment to keep sanitary and safe.
- I connected with volunteers who were running their own fundraisers and convinced them to sponsor washing machines and driers for our center.
- And most of all, I helped people fleeing war and destruction to find a warm welcome at the border and get the tools they need for their onward journeys.
What I am planning to do?
I will be returning to Poland on Tuesday, the 15th of March to continue my mission. During my last stay there, I’ve heard many tales from different people who have been affected by the war in different ways. Apart from helping refugees, I also want to help local communities. Many people want to help but are no funds, supplies or structure in place. With collected money I can do a lot i.e. for every EUR 5000, - I can do one of these things:
- Sponsor about 5000 dinners (soups, stews) with help of local communities.
- Build 2 kid’s corners at Refugee Help Center (incl. dry pool with toys, relaxing cinema, little tents, and creative supplies.
- Organize 3-4 outside kitchens for local communities.
- Get 200hrs of entertainment for children.
- Buy 475 SIM cards with a top up of 50PLN.
Additionally, I am assisting people with psychological help, first aid if needed, provide information, and find transportation for them as I am in direct contact with many support groups.
About me: I’m currently a Master's student in psychology (SWPS University in Warsaw) with a Bachelor's degree in hospitality management (Hotelschool The Hague). Through my Instagram account @neroy_m I am sharing several updates a week to show the world the reality of the situation, what I am doing on the ground and how I am allocating the funds that you will hopefully provide so generously towards this campaign.