On Tuesday, January 14, 2020, the Padron family, Malachi, Luis and their mother, aka "MamaP", experienced a house fire. Thankfully, Malachi was home at the time, smelled smoke and was able to evacuate 90-year old MamaP out of the house. By pure grace, nobody was seriously injured and the house didn't burn down.
Unfortunately, MamaP suffered smoke inhalation and is currently hospitalized. She is expected to recover and will remain there until the doctors are certain her lungs are clean and functioning to their fullest capacity.
MamaP and her late husband purchased their Oakland home in the late 1960's and the family has lived there ever since. The Padrons are Oakland natives.Because of a smoldering mattress which caused thick smoke that quickly filled the entire house, the restoration expenses are quite costly. Everything needs to be repaired and replaced as it is damaged by smoke.
If you know the Padrons, you know they are a helpful, very humble family and would normally never ask for help. In fact, this Gofundme page was forced upon them by their bossy sister-friend. It took some time to convince them that their need is real and eventually they agreed. If you are able to donate in any amount, it would be kindly appreciated, and all funds would go towards Mama P's uncovered medical costs, as well as the fees to make their home livable again. (The damage is estimated at $35,000 and, sadly, not covered by insurance.)
No amount is too big or too small. If you are unable to contribute, the only asks are for you to share this Gofundme while keeping them in your thoughts and prayers during this extremely difficult time.
With much gratitude on their behalf,
Vanessa , the bossy sister-friend
- Jose Omar Barrera
- Karen Dere
- Nisha Patel
- Helen Wu