Ozzy’s emergency medical expenses

This is our amazing dog Ozzy...and this is the story about our tough little guy with a big will to live. Let me just start off by saying that the end of 2020 for our family wasn't the happiest, less than 2 months ago we had to put down our English Bulldog Norman because we found out that he had an enlarged heart and a mass that showed up on X-ray so when this happened with Ozzy we were devastated.

53676608_1609635891362194_r.jpeg(Norman & Ozzy best friends forever)

On December 21st our dog, Ozzy came down with what we thought was just an ordinary cold...runny nose with watery eyes. We took him to the vet and they gave him some antibiotics and antihistamine and we went home. By Thursday night December 24th he seemed to rapidly worsen and was having trouble breathing so we rushed him to the 24-hour emergency vet. They needed to insert a tube down his throat to help him breathe and they then did a chest x-ray and determined he also had pneumonia.  By Friday afternoon they had to do a soft palate laser surgery to help open up the airway since there was a blockage and he wasn't getting enough air to breathe. Saturday they suggested that he have a temporary trachea tube inserted considering there was a lot of swelling in his throat & we needed to give it some time to heal without the tube being in place. So Monday morning the surgeon inserted the temporary trachea...things weren't looking to good for our Ozzy. He was uncomfortable, not eating and could not breathe on his own without the help of the trachea and extra oxygen.

His doctor said that they would try to pull the trachea tube out on Thursday morning and if he was unable to breathe on his own then he would require a laryngeal flap surgery or he would have to have a permanent trachea tube inserted. Our family decided as difficult as it was, on Wednesday night that if Ozzy was unable to breathe on his own that this would be the end of his fight that he had been through enough and as hard as it was we would have to make the tough decision to put him down since we were not only emotionally, but financially drained.... but on Thursday, December 31st when the doctors called to give us his morning update we got the incredible news that during the night Ozzy coughed out his trachea tube & they hadn't reinserted it, that he was just getting some oxygen and that he seemed to be getting better. We were SHOCKED! This was not the morning update we expected to get! :)   

We have spent a lot of money to save our little Ozzy and are not expecting to raise the full amount. We knew there would be debt involved in order to do anything possible to give Ozzy the best medical care to pull through this, but the bills have skyrocketed over the 11 days  with him being in the hospital ICU.  The first hospital bill was $1,198... and they kept rising the more days Ozzy stayed in the ICU and when he he had to go through multiple procedures to help him breathe properly...we haven't received the final hospital bill but so far we have paid over $25,000 for this whole nightmare.  

Receiving help would mean the world to us and we are hopeful our sweet boy will be coming home soon! Thank you...


 See top
  • Anonymous 
    • $500 
    • 6 d
  • Merle Evans 
    • $20 
    • 7 d
  • Sandra Malin 
    • $10 
    • 8 d
  • Anonymous 
    • $100 
    • 8 d
  • Mary C. Stein 
    • $300 
    • 9 d
See all


Cindy K 
Deerfield, IL
  • #1 fundraising platform

    More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more

  • GoFundMe Guarantee

    In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more

  • Expert advice, 24/7

    Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more