A Werribee woman is devastated and “left in ruins” after she lost her home in a fire on Monday.
Mother-of-two Kelly La Mude says she and her grandson had caught the train to the Moomba festival on March 9, and arrived back at her Gloucester Court home to find it alight.
Fire crews from Werribee, Wyndham Vale and Hoppers Crossing attended the blaze about 3pm.
“The roller shutters were down so the neighbours couldn’t see it was on fire. The gas built up and it exploded everywhere. I came home to find my house burnt to the ground,” Kelly said.
“I’ve lost everything and been left with all this mess I have to pay for. We don’t even have a place to sleep.”
Kelly says she did not have the home and contents insurance, but believed building insurance was included in the mortgage repayments with her bank.
“I had no contents insurance because I was paying a mortgage on a disability pension all on my own, but I always thought we were covered for the building,” she said.
“The bank have said they will freeze our mortgage repayments for three months only.”
Kelly believes a faulty phone charger in her son’s room was the cause of the blaze.
Werribee CFA’s First Lieutenant Darryl Wells said the fire was being investigated by an arson chemist and a CFA fire investigator.
Werribee Detective Senior Constable Frank Fierro said he would receive a report on the investigation’s outcome in four weeks.
Please note: Kelly has lost everything!
If you can help by dontating anything it would be a great help this will help rebuild Kelly's life!
- Ebony Bouchaud
- Collette Yates
- Suminda Stowers
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more