My name is Brittany Reyes and I am running my first half marathon in Philadelphia, PA this month. I have the honor of doing a runraiser for OAAARS .
OAAARS was founded by one of my dear friends, Simone Gamble and is a people of color led consultancy that provides social justice-centered education and training to create saf(er) and inclusive workplaces while cultivating change agents in the workplace and beyond.
This fundraiser is meaningful to me because OAAARS is focused on changing the narrative, workspaces, safe havens, and this leads to changing the world. The vision of OAAARS is to help create a world where people of color and other marginalized intersectional identities have workspaces that center their humanity, push for social justice, and are where their identities are seen, heard, and honored. With leaders of various marginalized identities as the guide. OAAARS reimagines professional development as a tool for equity, justice, safety, and wellness.
Please consider donating to my runraiser to support this vision so that this transformational work can grow for all the communities around us.
A few words from OAAARS Founder, Simone Gamble:
OAAARS is a people of color led consultancy that provides social justice centered training and education to workspaces looking to create safer, equitable, and inclusive work environments while cultivating agents of change in the workplace and beyond.
OAAARS is a response to the silence that overcomes the workplace in regards to social justice, equity, and inclusion. OAAARS wants to change that. We want to support workplaces in recognizing that safety includes centering training and conversations in the workplace around the ways systems of oppression impact folks both outside and inside of the workplace and provide the tools to transform the root causes internally and externally.
We do this uniquely by using the expertise of community organizers, activists, artists, advocates, healers, and educators to lead this transformational work. We work with folks who challenge power in the workplace and in community. We are changing the face of consulting and making sure those who see Justice as the end goal are on our team and center it in our practice.
OAAARS is growing but we need support from our community. We are planning for the longevity, growth, and sustainability of our work. With that goal, we need to invest in many of the structures that will support us in building our capacity
We will use this funding to hire part-time staff, cover major admin costs, and contract a part-time finance manager. Lastly, we want to support our consultants in doing this amazing work. We are also looking to host healing spaces for consultants in order to care for their mental health and wellness. This work is full of emotional and physical labor. If we are to sustain this vital work, we must first center ourselves and that is a top priority for OAAARS . Thank you for investing in us not only for what we can produce but in our overall wellness.
What We Need
Every coin will go to building the capacity of our OAAARS . Here are our plans for the use of these funds.
- Development of OAAARS online internal and external platforms (database, intake structures)
- The hiring of two part-time staff members to dedicate to building out OAAARS admin structures
- Mental health spaces and skills-building training for our consultants
- We have worked with over 25 organizations about improving their workplaces to center justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion
- We have hired over 20 consultants to earn equitable compensation for their work in the last year.
- We have hosted mental health spaces for consultants during the pandemic to center our healing to make it real for people and build trust.
Other Ways You Can Help
- Spread the campaign on your social media platforms or target folks with access to funds and are aligned with our work
- Spread the word to dope changemakers who can join our team of consultants
- Mention our name in rooms where opportunities arise
Spread the Word!
If you can't contribute to this campaign, you can still support us by sharing it –spreading the word about OAAARS .
Don't forget to join our community on: Instagram @oaaars
Check out our website: OAAARS
A BIG THANK YOU for your support!
Freelance Photographer and Videographer: Neha Gautam