Hi friends and family!
The four of us (Kenny, Marie, Kelisa, & Jakub) were stuck in Lima, Peru due to a nationwide emergency border closure and quarantine that was declared by the Peruvian government on March 15th. After 3 weeks of being stuck in Peru, we finally made it on a military chartered repatriation flight!
Being #stuckinperu for 21 days has been emotionally, physically, and financially exhausting for us and our families, along with thousands of other Americans in our situation. Along the way, friends and strangers alike have reached out to offer support and we greatly appreciate your compassion. You can read more about the details of our experience below - please consider supporting us by sharing our link or donating to our GoFundMe to help us cover the costs of being #stuckinperu. Thank you.
- We have been stuck in Lima, Peru since March 15th, when a national emergency was declared and the borders were closed due to the COVID-19 public health crisis. Our flight home was scheduled for March 16th, ONE DAY SHORT.
- Being #stuckinperu has been exhausting. You can learn more about the details of our strict quarantine situation here in Lima by following the news articles linked below. We have been doing everything in our power to get home to our families over the past 3 weeks and in the process have drained our credit cards and bank accounts.
- Our only way to return home is through a US military chartered "repatriation" flight, which will cost us each up to $1,000 via a promissory note (loan to the government). In addition, we have been paying for our AirBnb here for 21 additional days, plus food and supplies, all while continuing to pay our bills and rent back home. We also needed to pay for transportation from Washington, DC to New Jersey once we made it to the United States. Every day the costs continue to pile up and some of us have been laid off from our jobs in the meantime.
- To be clear, we're only asking for support to cover the expenses we have accrued since the lockdown started here in Peru, NOT our regular vacation costs pre-quarantine.
TOTAL COSTS SINCE MARCH 15:
Spent to date:
$1,150 food and supplies
$1,000 extended AirBnb stay (so far)
$ 3,500 - 4,000 in repatriation flights
We appreciate any and all support you can give - through donations or by sharing our link! We're hoping everyone stays healthy and safe, and please #stayathome.
Thank you again.
- You can learn more about our situation in Lima in the following articles:
Coronavirus Leaves South Jersey Residents Stranded in Peru
NJ native evacuated from Peru while OTHERS REMAIN STRANDED
Rowan Alumni Trapped in Peru as Martial Law is Declared in Response to COVID19
NBC10 Video NJ Couples Stranded in Peru Amid Coronavirus Pandemic
- William Valinote
- Amy Beckert Brown
- Jenna J