Night School in the New Year

Help us keep Night School shining bright in the New Year!
 
Night School offers evening classes in the arts and humanities, online, and open to all curious adults! We started with one class in summer of 2020, built to two classes and two reading groups in the fall, and are now slated to offer five classes and two reading groups in our Winter 2021 session. These classes are donation-based to make them financially accessible to anyone who wants to learn, regardless of ability to pay. In order to continue with this model, we need your help!


We receive a little under half of our suggested per-class donations directly from students, but we need 100% to keep going. This money goes directly to instructors to pay them a living wage for their preparation and teaching and also pays for 15 hours a week of administrative labor (scheduling, social media, images and ads, more social media, training new instructors, communication, website, more social media…!). Our $7500 goal covers half of the funds we need to operate for our winter term (January/February), while we work to build a longer-term scholarship program.

We are a faculty collective who have extensive teaching experience at colleges and universities, but we are committed to democratizing education for all! We have low suggested-donation rates for classes, and never turn anyone away regardless of ability to pay.

The average cost for a single university class nationwide is $1500 for a 3-credit course, or a little over $100 per week per student. For a class with 30 students, universities collect $45,000, and pay instructors an average of $2700, or 6% of total tuition revenue. The other 94% goes to administration and operating costs. For most folks, it is prohibitively expensive to study at a university, and it is prohibitively exploitative to teach there, too.

At Night School, we’re changing that. We are the exact same instructors who teach at colleges and universities. But at Night School, the majority of our funds go directly to instructors, and ALL of it goes to living-wage labor. We offer high-quality, thought-provoking education by exploring books, art, film, music, history, and society with small groups of 15 students to better understand, appreciate, and struggle together in the world we live in.
 
Won’t you help us keep operating this winter and beyond?

53511408_1608835348901955_r.jpeg
Contribute to our campaign here, and follow us on twitter and Instagram: @nightschoolbar
Check out our classes and sign up for one at our website: www.nightschoolbar.com 
Follow us on Medium to read about our mission: nightschoolbar.medium.com 
Sign up for our newsletter for updates: tinyletter.com/nightschoolbar 
 
**For now we are online and will remain that way until it is safe to resume classes, but we had plans before the pandemic, and still hope to open a brick-and-mortar social space that will be partially funded by a bar once it becomes safe to do so.**

Donations

 See top
  • Rendon Foy 
    • $50 
    • 1 d
  • Anonymous 
    • $100 
    • 4 d
  • Anonymous 
    • $500 
    • 5 d
  • Deborah Kim 
    • $100 
    • 6 d
  • Anonymous 
    • $50 
    • 6 d
See all

Organizer

Lindsey Andrews 
Organizer
Durham, NC
  • #1 fundraising platform

    More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more

  • GoFundMe Guarantee

    In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more

  • Expert advice, 24/7

    Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more