Kameron's Medical Fund

Kameron is currently 14 years old. When we was 2 he was diagnosed with a rare case of bone cancer called Ewing Carcoma. The tumor was on his right upper chest wall and the size of a softball.  Children's Hospital at the time did not have a clear cut treatment for him. He recieved extensive amounts of chemotherapy and radiation. The effects from this treatment have left him with his right side the size of a 5 year old and his left side the size of a 14 year old. His right lung is like an upside down funnel that with any irritation or inflammation it closes it's airways. His lung can only expand a maximum of 70% so its compromised to begin with.
Kameron had the flu a week before Christmas. He was treated and everything was fine. The week after Christmas he did some traveling and was exposed to RSV. A week after he came home he complained how hard it was to breathe and that his inhaler was not working. He seemed ok that night so we were going to get him into the clinic on Fort Carson, CO. We had snow that day and the clinics were closed. Took him to the ER and his oxygen was at 74! Normal is 90 and above. They did breathing treatments and an xray. Did not show any signs of pneumonia. Doctors said that they were transferring him to Memorial Hospital downtown because they did not like the way he sounded.
January 9th at Memorial Hospital Kameron was a code blue. His heart had failed and his blood pressure had plummeted. CPR was performed and he was then intubated with a breathing tube. It was touch and go all night, up and down and completely terrifying. They had difficulty with the placement of the breathing tube so Anesthesia performed a tube replacement. Doctors took another xray and he had developed pneumonia in both lungs. 
Kameron improved over the next 2 days so the doctors had decided to pull his breathing tube. The following 24 hours he had plummeted again. They once again intubated him. Only this time with heavy sedation. He was heavily sedated for the next 4 weeks. His right lung had been collecting fluid and not able to discharge it naturally so a chest tube had been placed to help with the draining. Kameron was slowly weaned off the breathing tube and extubated. 
A few days after while doing physical therapy he had a seizure. Just out of nowhere. The doctors then did a CT Scan and later an MRI. He has calcifications in his brain that doctors say are from the chemotherapy and radiation and that was not the cause. His EEG was normal. They placed him on Seizure meication only for about 48 hours. After being taken off, he then again had another seizure during physical therapy.
Kameron's anatomy on his right side is very difficult for the doctors, specilaists, and surgery to even perform what a normal procedure to clear out this fluid would take. Right now they only thing is a chest tube which clogs and is not getting all the fluid that the doctors would like for it to get. We have seen all sorts of specialists. Oncology even did all the tests on his fluids, mucus, blood work, all of it and they are not sure why the fluid keeps builiding just on the right side.
We have now transferred to Denver Children's Hospital. We live in Colorado Springs and have another son who is 13. We have to make arrangements for him to stay with friends so he can attend school. My husband and I stay here in Denver 4-5 days a week depending on procedures pending. It's tearing us apart financially. We ere stretching it in Colorado Springs, but gas and definitely food is really hurting since we have come to Denver.
Ronald McDonald is full and we have been getting assistance from some organizations we are a part of since my husband is a wounded veteran. We also have been getting help from our wonderful friends and family, but can only go so far. But for the long haul with paying $25/day for the hospital stay which is now well over $1000, all the food and gas bills, we just might run out of money. I cannot work because I am my husband's caregiver, between reitirement pay and caregiver pay it's hard on a normal daily basis. We don't usually reach out for too much help, but 7 weeks in the hospital and a predicted 4-6 more weeks we cannot afford to not ask for help. Anything helps big or small. We are just trying to protect our family from any more hardships that come along with this. Thank you for taking the time to read this. God Bless You All.


 See top
  • Anonymous 
    • $60 
    • 72 mos
  • Lacey Young 
    • $50 
    • 75 mos
  • Robert axtell 
    • $100 
    • 75 mos
  • Andrea alcala 
    • $20 
    • 75 mos
  • Anonymous 
    • $415 
    • 75 mos
See all


Jennifer Brice Shepherd 
Colorado Springs, CO
  • #1 fundraising platform

    More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more

  • GoFundMe Guarantee

    In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more

  • Expert advice, 24/7

    Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more