UPDATE December 11th: BLM has been getting away with lies, roundups, abuse, slaughter and so many deaths. It's time to change this.
We are going to ramp it up and need everyone to help raise the lawyer's salary ASAP--before they kill more mustangs. Because the word is out that that is the plan.
Since we still have a lot more money to raise to pay for a staff lawyer we will keep you posted on how our fundraising will continue.
All the money raised for the staff lawyer will go into a separate bank account specifically for the lawyer. Let's visualize donors meeting the $75k goal soon--for the horses!
Thank you and bless you!
Volunteer Executive Director
P.O. Box 5661
Berkeley, CA 94705
UPDATE: The DEADLINE for this tax-deductible fundraiser https://www.gofundme.com/mustanglaw
is Thursday December 10th at MIDNIGHT PACIFIC TIME. Our fiscal sponsorship with the Andean Tapir Fund ends Midnight the 10th. Please HELP the wild horses get their lawyer and get your tax-deduction at the same time! Thank you and Bless you!
December 9 2015 Update:
Someone just asked me a question that might be on your mind too. Their question was "What happens to money that is donated for the staff lawyer to protect wild horses if the goal isn't reached by midnight Dec 10th? "
The answer is this: Together we can reach the goal. This is the beauty of crowd-funding through sharing. All the money raised for the staff lawyer minus what Go Fund Me/First Giving takes for processing will go in an account for the lawyer. We WILL meet the goal either by Dec. 10th at midnight or afterwards. America's wild horses need us ALL to pull together to make this happen!
Please donate today right here: https://www.gofundme.com/mustanglaw and share this fundraiser by email to your friends and family so they can be part of this massive rescue using the law as our weapon.
Wild horses need their own lawyer to protect them. YOU can help make this happen! You can be part of their protection plan!
Right now wild horses are shipped out the backdoor to slaughter. . . After the 2016 elections, it's going to get much worse--unless we take proactive action now!
The PRO-SLAUGHTER faction is raising tons of money to manipulate the public and elected officials into believing slaughter is humane when it's not. They have hired Spin Dr.s to help them sway public opinion. They say wild horses should be "humanely" slaughtered because of false claims that wild horses are overpopulated--when the truth is they aren't given their fair share of public land.
The PRO-SLAUGHER group lobbies in Washington and even makes movies with stars to manipulate the American public into believing wild horses are only pretty pests. This group has millions of dollars backing them and they are determined to kill our wild mustangs.
With the 2004 Burns Amendment to the Wild Horse Protection Act of 1971, ALL America's wild horses are at risk of going to slaughter. The staff lawyer is going to have a lot of work to do!
Please donate to stop this evil: https://www.gofundme.com/mustanglaw
Thank you and bless you!
For the horses!
Volunteer Executive Director
RED ALERT 12/1/15: We must hire a staff lawyer immediately to protect America's wild horses, stop the roundups and the slaughter!
It's URGENT to hire a lawyer on staff quickly so we can get the most out of the legal genius to save America's wild horses in court before they are killed. Click here to make a tax-deductible donation today: https://www.gofundme.com/mustanglaw
The lawyer will be the only paid professional at Protect Mustangs. The rest of us are volunteers because we care so deeply about America's wild horses and their right to freedom.
Most organizations are paying their Presidents and Executive Directors big salaries. They pay other staff good salaries and benefits too. At Protect Mustangs it's different. We are here for the wild horses not for the paycheck.
As you know I'm deeply committed to protecting America's mustangs so I donate all my professional time as do our other wonderful volunteers. Sadly pro-bono lawyers won't donate enough time to take a big case through the end. And we want to pound BLM with more than one lawsuit that will really protect wild horses.
Time is running out . . .
Mustangs are being persecuted and forced off their legal land because greedy people want the resources and don't care about wild horses. Roundups are cruel and deadly. Afterwards wild horses are traumatized even more by being ripped apart from their families that they love. Once mustangs are offered for adoption 3 times by the feds and not picked--they can be sold to slaughter because the Burns Amendment made it legal. This is heinous!
Please help America' s wild horses survive and live in freedom with a tax-deductible donation to our legal fund to hire a staff lawyer. Click here to donate: https://www.gofundme.com/mustanglaw
Protect Mustangs is a boots on the ground organization saving mustangs with a great track record of 3 out of 4 successful legal actions that have saved thousands of wild horses. (Pine Nut, Wyoming and Fort McDermitt). Now our hands are tied without our own lawyer on staff because there is so much to do!
You can change that.
If you want to make a difference and you want to save America's wild horses then make a donation to our legal fund right now by clicking here: https://www.gofundme.com/mustanglaw
Together we can turn this around!
For the mustangs,
Volunteer Executive Director
Donate to save wild horses with the law on our side!
We are grateful our sucessful legal actions have stopped roundups and saved thousands of lives in the Pine Nut and Fort McDemitt areas. Protect Mustangs is creating a legal team to continue the fight for wild horse freedom in the courts. We almost didn't find lawyers in time to help save the Pine Nut herd. We need to hire a staff lawyer
The team at Protect Mustangs feels legal action is a very important area of focus with a huge impact to save many lives.
Please make your tax-deductible donation to the Wild Horse Legal fund today because the Pine Nut, Nevada, California, Wyoming, and other wild horses need legal protection again. The palm greasers going to BLM want them gone and we will take action.
Did you know that Michael Blake (Dances with Wolves), RIP, joined our Fort McDermitt lawsuit in 2013 when we stopped 2 years of horrible roundups that were sending wild horses to slaughter?
This is what he wrote on August 21, 2013:
I, Michael Lennox Blake, declare and state as follows:
1. I am an author as well as a screenwriter. I have written several books and screenplays including Dances with Wolves, which was released to international acclaim in 1990. In 1991, I won every major award for my screenplay for Dances with Wolves, including an Academy Award, Golden Globe, Writer’s Guild Award, and the Silver Spur. I have also received public service awards including the Eleanor Roosevelt Award and the Americanism Award, in addition to many other awards during my life.
2. I reside in Sonoita, Arizona. I am a member of Protect Mustangs, and also am on the Advisory Board for Protect Mustangs. In a professional capacity I am an author and screenwriter. I support the work that Protect Mustangs does to protect wild horses and advocate for effective wild horse conservation on public lands.
3. I have visited Nevada for decades to see the wild horses, study them, and be inspired by them for my work. I have explored the lands of Nevada where the wild horses roam in freedom for inspiration and research for my work. I intend to return to these areas so I may continue to be inspired and do research for my work.
4. In 1992, I helped commission the first comprehensive aerial census of wild horses in Nevada. In almost every herd area, the horses were far less numerous than the BLM estimated. The final count in our survey was 8,324.
5. Protect Mustangs’ members are interested in wild horses, and I support their work to protect wild horses’ freedom and safety from cruel and harmful practices including but not limited to illegal roundups. Their mission is to educate the public about indigenous wild horses, protect and research American wild horses on the range, and help those who have lost their freedom. Protect Mustangs works to educate the public about the decisions and activities of the government that impact wild horses, and find solutions for wild horse conservation that does not include roundups and auctioning off wild horses for slaughter. Members of the public and horse advocates across the United States are interested in and support Protect Mustangs’ work to protect wild horses due to their recreational, scientific, spiritual, ecological, cultural, artistic, historical, iconic, and aesthetic values.
6. I wrote in my book Twelve the King:
"But he and hundreds of thousand like him are gone now from this beautiful land, and for that reason alone I could not stop as I traveled over four hundred miles of Nevada roads. Something evil is still afoot in this land, and it has left its imprint everywhere. In all those miles of open, free country, the mark of evil is present in what is absent. The wild horses are missing from the land."
7. I have written extensively about the American West and find inspiration seeing and studying wild horses. If these unbranded, wild horses are rounded up and removed by the USDA Forest Service and/or the BLM on tribal land, or elsewhere by the Forest Service and/or the BLM, I will be harmed because I will no longer have the ability to study them or be inspired for my books, stories and other works.
8. Wild horses and their connection with the land in the American West inspire me to write. I have plans to spend time in the future using and enjoying these lands and studying free-roaming wild horses on public lands in the Owyhee HMAs and where the wild horses roam in the Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest, as well as on tribal lands. The proposed gather on USDA Forest Service and tribal lands will forever remove wild and free-roaming horses that I rely upon in my professional and personal capabilities.
9. I derive significant satisfaction and happiness from the existence of native wild, free- roaming horses. Ensuring the continued existence and distribution of wildlife including wild horses in the West is of the utmost importance to me and has directly influenced my life a great deal. The West is far different than the East because the West still has wildlife—including wild horses that inspire me to write fiction and non-fiction.
10. If the Fort McDermitt Horse Gather proceeds as planned, it will prevent me and other members of Protect Mustangs from recreating, enjoying, studying, being inspired from, and writing about the wild horses in the area in the future. I am very unlikely to continue deriving benefit and inspiration concerning the wild horses in an area where they have been removed and herd numbers drastically reduced as is proposed by the Fort McDermitt Horse Gather and the 2013 Agreement between the Forest Service and Fort McDermitt Tribal Council. Our members share these views as well.
11. I have been studying and gaining inspiration from seeing wild horses in Nevada throughout my life. I have certain plans to continue visiting these wild areas of Nevada authorized for roundup, including the Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest, throughout my lifetime. For the aforementioned reasons I would be directly harmed should the unbranded, wild horses at issue in the Fort McDermitt Horse Gather be removed and the horses rounded up and be allowed to go to holding, auction, sale, or slaughter.
[End of Michael Lennox Blake's declaration]
HELP build the legal fund today so Protect Mustangs can fight for wild horses in court. We are a unique group dedicated purely to the protection and preservation of America's wild horses. We need to act quickly and independently to HELP SAVE wild horses with legal action. Please make a tax-deductible donation today and share this fundraiser: https://www.gofundme.com/mustanglaw
Thank you for taking action today to help save the wild horses!
Volunteer Executive Director
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more