Imani has made it her personal mission to empower women of colour to see a place for themselves within the global surf industry. She is using surfing as a tool to positively transform the lives of women and girls.
Based at the Jamnesia Surf Club in St. Andrew, Jamaica, SGJ provides a safe and nurturing environment for girls of all ages to learn to surf, advance their surfing skills, and develop a bond with an amazingly talented and supportive community.
SGJ provides learn-to-surf classes, surf coaching and personal development opportunities on extremely limited donations and volunteer resources. There are no surf shops in Jamaica, so it is extremely difficult to acquire surf-related necessities.
In order to continue providing this much-needed space, SGJ is seeking funds to purchase:
- surf equipment (learner and fun boards, leashes, wax, fins, deck pads)
- surf gear (rash guards, swimsuits, surf shorts, reef shoes/booties)
- ding repair kits and repair supplies
- nutritious snacks for surf and training sessions
Funds are also being raised to:
- provide financial assistance to girls who are not able to afford transportation to participate in training sessions
- run regular girl surf competitions
Surf Girls Jamaica has made, and continues to make, a significant impact on young and aspiring female surfers in the Caribbean, and with your help we can continue this mission for years to come.