Texas woman severely burned after hand sanitizer catches fire and explodes
Meet Kate, my best friend. Over the weekend she was the victim of a horrific accident in her home with her three children.
Kate tucked her children in her bed to watch a movie. She used hand sanitizer she purchased from a store she trusted.
Shortly after she went to light something in her room and her arm caught on fire. Soon after there was a bomb-like explosion. She has burns from head to toe, second and third degree.
Two of her daughters ran to get the neighbor to call 9/11. On fire, she carried her disabled daughter and her dog out of her home.
Kate is in ICU in Austin, Texas. She's lost her home, her kids are traumatized and she needs major reconstructive surgery. A single mom, she's lost most of her furniture to smoke damage and other possessions to the fire.
COVID-19 has brought many unsafe products to our shelves. Many of which have not been properly tested and are not safe. Be careful of what you put on your body. Make sure what you are using is FDA approved.
Kate trusted the product because she purchased it from a store she trusted. Just because you bought something from a store you trust, doesn't mean what they're selling is trusted or safe.
Kate needs child care for her three children while she recovers in the hospital. She needs a new home, new furniture and clothes. She needs money to pay for the surgeries she's had and will need down the road.
Kate wants to spread awareness of what happened to her to help prevent this from happening to others.
DonationsSee top donations
- Lee & Gena Wright
- Ann Conti
- Nathan Basaraba
Organizer and beneficiary
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more