Special formula for Chase

Our son Chase was born on December 13 2014 at 3:18 pm at 1450 grams, 11 mins after his twin sister Aubree. Being born at 31 weeks was only one of the challenges he would have to face.
On Dec 15 2014, as we walked into the NICU at Mount Sinai hospital, doctors surrounded Chases incubator and we knew something was wrong. Doctors had sat us down and told us Chase had a gastroperferation and would need to go to the hospital for sick children immediately for emergency surgery.
After waiting 2 hours for the surgery to be done, the doctors finally came out with the news. We were told by the surgeon, that in 35 years he had yet to see such a large perforation. We were told, hope for the best but prepare for the worst. We began to count hours and every moment with our little man was precious.
Staying at the Ronald McDonald house was where we called home for 3 weeks. We bounced back and forth between seeing Aubree at Mount Sinai and Chase at Sick kids, bringing out 2.5 year old Landon along with us. It was tough, but not once did we think twice about it, we had to do what we had to do for our family.
Chase was shocking the doctors and was recovering remarkably. December 27th is a day we will never forget. We finally got to hold our youngest and most fragile. The moment was breath taking. We had waited 14 days for this, 14 days too long.
On January 3rd we were told incredible news, Chase was stable enough to transfer to a level 2 hospital closer to home. This is when our journey began at Orillia Soldiers Memorial Hosptial.
The staff there welcomed us with open arms. We immediately felt like we belonged and we knew our children would be well taken care of.
On January 8th, while changing his diaper, the nurse discovered blood in his stool. Actions were taken immediately. Chase was pulled off his feed and the testing started again. We waited. The xray came back fairly quick and showed there was air in the bowel wall. Chase had Necrotizing Enterocolitis.
7 days antibiotics, 7 days no food. His infection had made him weak, and he didn't seem to miss the food at all. As we watched him lay there daily we prayed things would get better.
After the 7 days the tests started to come back normal. Food was in the near future.
On January 16 we cheered as he started to eat again, 1ml and slow to increase, but it was something, things were looking up.
On January 24th we were laughing and singing in the NICU as Chase was almost at full feeds. He did it, he had overcome the necrotizing.
Around 3 pm during a diaper change, he had another bloody stool. This couldn't be happening, how much more could his body take.
On Monday morning our pediatrician came in to break the news to us, the necrotizing was back. We couldn't believe it. They told us his little body has taken a beating and they weren't sure how much more it could take. We sat at his bedside for hours, in silence, no one had to say a word.
We were back at square one, no food for 7 days and 7 days of antibiotics.
This time Chase didn't take it lightly. He fought the whole time. He was hungry, and he wanted the world to know it. Watching your child suffer is hard, but watching Chase suffer and fight with everything he had left in him, was the hardest thing we have ever done.
On February 1st the doctors had made the decision, after numerous test, Chases stomach couldn't handle cows milk, goats milk or even soy. They were putting him on nutramigen A+.
Two days into feeds, things just didn't feel right, Chase wasn't being himself. That Wednesday his stomach started to become hard and swollen. At 3:30 pm he started to shake, puke and poop uncontrollably. We had no idea what to think. This couldn't be happening. Please say this is a dream.
The tests began, it showed he had gas in his stomach. We were told this is usually a sign of a major allergy to formula but more tests were to follow.
On Thursday Dr. Smith told us that we were going to try Chase on puramino aa, if his body didn't take to that, we would be transferred back to the city. We were also informed of the price of the new formula. We couldn't believe it, but we would cross that bridge when we got to it. After a long week on the formula Chases body was responding amazingly. We were over the moon. We could finally see the light at the end of the tunnel.
As the days got closer to coming home, we had to come to the reality of the expense of the formula. We were looking at $70+ daily. It was such a bitter sweet moment. We wanted him home where he belonged, but the reality was we couldn't afford it.
On February 14th, our official due day, Chase got to make his big exit out of the NICU, and big entrance into his home. His big brother and sister were completed once Chase came through those doors.

Our little man has fought for 9 weeks of his life to be able to stay with us. We are asking you kindly for donations to help with his formula. We wanted to do this on our own, but the reality of it is we need to put our pride aside and reach out for help.
Any amount helps, and we are thankful for each and every one of you, even just to read his story.
He is home, healthy and with the help of all of you will continue to gain weight and become stronger every day.

Thank you for your time. May all of you find the happy ending to our story and please spread the word

The Ostertag Family
  • Anonymous 
    • $75 
    • 69 mos
  • Debbie Ray 
    • $25 
    • 70 mos
  • Anonymous 
    • $30 
    • 70 mos
  • Anonymous 
    • $5 
    • 70 mos
  • Amy Famme 
    • $25 
    • 70 mos
See all


Matt Ostertag 
Uxbridge, ON
  • #1 fundraising platform

    More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more

  • GoFundMe Guarantee

    In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more

  • Expert advice, 24/7

    Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more