COVID 19 Resources
Thank you so much for your incredible support thus far. We have crossed the finish line and fund raised approximately half of our pandemic rental debt! With thousands of dollars left to pay, we hope you will contribute if you haven’t already.
We are reaching out for your help. The pandemic has brought incredible changes to MKC, like so many other small businesses. If we are to save a vital part of the South Asian dance community and protect the future of this beloved performing arts company, it’s time to come together in this effort.
The goal of this fundraiser is to help alleviate a portion of our rental debt, which is upwards of $190,000. This doesn’t include $40,000 debt we have accrued for deferred payments during the pandemic. We were unable to conduct any classes in our studios for several months, and we have only just gained true momentum for our in-studio offerings, 19 months since the start of the pandemic.
100% of your donation will go towards studio debt repayment and help save the Cupertino and Milpitas studios.
We used to have a studio in Pleasanton, but just a few months ago, we made the hard decision to give it up to alleviate the accruing debt. We paid off the owed amount, and we no longer have that space.
The Cupertino and Milpitas spaces are instrumental to our entire operation: In addition to conducting classes here, it’s where all the company and Emerging Performer acts are rehearsed, where instructors are trained, where we conduct special workshops and intensives, have meetings, make props, conduct costume rehearsals, plan showcases and make this company what it is! Being encumbered by large debts greatly inhibits our ability to offer the quality and the number of classes, workshops and shows in several Bay Area locations.
How we survived the pandemic:
- We took out low interest loans amounting to approx. $200,000 ($30,000 of this may be eligible for forgiveness via the PPP federal pandemic relief fund, we don't know yet)
- We eliminated several infrastructure costs
- Management either forfeited their pay completely, or took severe cuts early on in the pandemic so we could continue pay staff and instructors. Management is continuing these cuts for the foreseeable future, and there are no deferred and owed payments for wages not paid since 2020
- Deferred payments to staff and instructors (we are deeply grateful for their support)
- We are so hopeful for 2022 and beyond, especially now, as kids ages 5 can get vaccinated!
- Trust us, we are going to survive: we have sound financial stewardship to guide the company as well as a solid team who is fired up about what’s to come!
- We still have a sizeable debt to pay, and we are going to diligently work towards a debt-free future
To continue the legacy of South Asian dance, we need the South Asian community to support this cause. Thank you for your time and generous donation, whatever the amount may be!